Friday, September 30, 2005

footloose in Paris

I'm not a shoe person. Really. I live in my Birkenstocks, summer and winter. But I couldn't resist these fabulous Arche shoes when I was in London. A perfect expression of my mood for those two weeks! My friend Marlene has several wonderful pairs and her local shoe boutique was having a huge sale and these were the only ones left in my size. Could I leave them there? We spent 5 days in Paris and the rest of the time in London. In Paris, I dragged my cousins to the marché aux puces, where they had not been in years. My cousin Edmond kept trying to drag me over to the good antique stalls but I insisted on checking out the junk. Much more interesting than Sevres china, dontcha think?

I was looking for tjaps and other stuff to print and batik with and I found some wonderful Indonesian wood printing blocks, several random metal items, and a piece of orange construction fence with a pattern different from what I have. Edmond liberated a piece of it for me with his Swiss army knife. My cousin France enjoyed herself immensely at her husband's antics. He, of course, thought I was nuts. Thanks, Edmond. As we left the flea market, I was stunned by the beautiful artwork on walls everywhere. This is only one example. One day Marty and I went to the Pompidou - my favorite museum in Paris. While we were waiting for it to open, we walked over to the fountain nearby - a wonderful, whimsical corner of the world, adjacent to an ancient church. Here are a couple of views from the top of the Centre Pompidou. Even blindfolded, you wouldln't mistake it for any other city in the world. (Well,you know what I mean).

The five days in Paris were an interlude. We took the Eurostar back to London and stayed with our friends David & Marlene till yesterday (Thurs). I am still on UK time...so I am going to retire early. Tomorow we'll go back and do London.

6 comments:

Deb R said...

Great shoes! And great travel photos!

Debra said...

Fabulous shoes!! Had to check them out online. Hope they are better priced in London... $285 for a pair from Zappos!!!

Love the pictures from Paris (especially since I just found out I might... small might... be there next year. Better chance I'll be in London and Rotterdam.... I may have to seek out those shoes while I'm there).

Rayna said...

Debra, nothing is better priced in London. Argh. Zappo's is the best bet for Arche, although these were a HUGE bargain in the shoe store at £49 (which I translate as about $90, although I'll only know when the bill comes). I could not find Arche in Paris, but really didn't have time to shop much. I ordered a different pair of sandals on Zappo's (picture later) which were here when I got home. You can do fine on Zappo's if you have no preconceived ideas and they have your size in a bargain shoe. They run small, so order a size up.

Liz Plummer said...

I love the Pompidou centre and that whimsical area outside it! Thanks for posting photos!

PaMdora said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! I wish I could join you at the junk shop.

Debra Dixon said...

Love that picture of the bottomhalf of the mannequin in bikini undies!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...