Thursday, October 06, 2005

you asked for it

I just got back a bunch of slides I had made for my Dye/Paint/Print demo in Houston. Problem is, I can't find my loupe, my little slide viewer thingie is out of batteries, and my slide projector doesn't work. So we'll all be in for a surprise. They look pretty good to my nekkid eye--but we'll see. I sent a bunch of jpgs off to a digital-to-slides place and if they are good, this will be the way to go as far as I am concerned. Where is all of this leading? Some of you asked for a gelatin print tutorial so I figured I'd share with you some of the pictures I made into slides, taken during one of my classes. Nancy Marculewicz' book Monoprinting with a Gelatin Plate is really excellent - although she is a printmaker who works on paper. I've done it on paper,too. But I still love fabric best. Here I am putting a blob or two of paint on the plate, which I will roll out in the next photo. Heh heh - this block has been used for a while, but here it is with a piece from my grandson's card game. I'm going to lay the fabric on top of it and see what happens. This is my favorite part. Surprise!! And in the next picture, another print on the same fabric. And finally, a raft of prints on my design wall: the piece that never got made. I have tons of these and one of these days I'll do something interesting with them. Maybe.

8 comments:

Debra said...

Rayna,

Is it just Knox gelatin (or lots of jello)?? made up in a square cake pan?

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask if you had that in a tin foil type pan??? Loved doing the gelatin prints. Too much fun!!!

Rayna said...

Yep. Knox in foil pans.

Micki said...

this looks so cooool! can you tell us a little more. like exactly how you mix and make the gelatin. can you keep these for awhile? thanks

Gerrie said...

Thanks for the tease. I have to get that book!!

Frances said...

thanks for the 'demo' I really must get the stuff and 'do' this, I love the positive and negative, I do it with all my mono prints,
I am glad I'm not the only one with a pile of prints waiting for attention, this printing can become very addictive,

gabrielle said...

You make this look so easy...and I love to make a mess...which I am sure mine would be.....I am still in awe of how productive you are...makes me want to retire and take up popscicle stick art.

Rayna said...

Gabrielle - making a mess IS easy -- at least for me. I must have missed that part in preschool and kindergarden. And do keep in mind that when I went to camp (first and last time) my report card from the counselor at the end of 2 horrid weeks said only this: "Rayna keeps a messy cubby." She still does.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...