Sunday, February 26, 2006

new work, old work

I spent a good part of the day working on my website: adding new exhibit info to the front page, updating my teaching schedule and postcard page, and most time consuming of all - adding a page of new work. Since there has been a lot of discussion about pricing or not, I decided to add prices on these new pieces. I have not gotten around to putting prices on the rest of the pages, but will have to get to it. While I was going through my jpg files, retrieving the new work, I remembered that I had a conversation with - aargh - SOMEBODY here about putting up old work so we could all see where we started before we became ARTISTS. Well, anyway - I figured I would put up a few pieces from the 20th century, just for old time's sake. The tea cup one at the top is a breakthrough piece for me - traditional blocks I drafted myself and TEXT on the perimeter. It still makes me happy when I look at it. The next one started with antique 9 patches, of which I still have a billion. Margaret Miller published it in one of her books. The piece immediately below came next -- about 9 years ago and sold last year. I was still making tradtional blocks, but doing my own thing with them. Kaffe Fasset had just come out with his stripes and I had just dyed my first fabric, which I combined with commercial ones.Leftover blocks from something went into the border of this next one. The center was the first time I'd done raw edge appliqué after I realized I didn't care about the Quilt Police. Enough for now -- you get the idea. Transitional pieces - a much different palette than I now use - and we won't even try to analyze that!

6 comments:

Karoda said...

Transitional, but still very contemporary! I love the last one with the dresses and the 9 patch.

Judy said...

Love 'em all! No matter what you do....and really, I'm not trying to suck up to the teacher!!!

Jules said...

I am so excited to see you will be at Fiber on a Whim. I just found out about that shop and plan to visit this week.

Anonymous said...

You were always working outside the box, weren't you. It is fun to see these pieces.

Shirley Goodwin said...

I can't believe how much my work has changed in a short space of time, and I'm sure you feel the same as you look at these pieces (which by the way, are great!). See, you were an artist even when you just thought of yourself as a quilter!

Lynn said...

I am really loving your blogs and all the links to your work. The "retrospective show" was a gas. I got all kinds of ammunition for when I get into those arguments with myself about "Why are you keeping these blocks for a quilt you're never going to make?" "Because." "That's not good enough." Now I can say "Yes it is! Rayna used them in new pieces, so can I...some day."

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...