Friday, September 01, 2006

I promised

that I would post the biscotti recipe. Just be forewarned: in the interest of research, I tried one with my martini tonight. Trust me, it was NOT a good combination. You can do your own research with this recipe - and you can play around with it, as well. You can't expect me to have followed the recipe exactly, can you? With gracious thanks to Florence Fabricant of the NY Times, I give you the original with modifications of one of 3 fabulous biscotti recettes (the other 2 were Toasted Almond and Chocolate Hazelnut) that appeared in the paper on Sunday, Dec. 12, 1993. 1993???!!! How is that possible?

Rosemary Pine-Nut Biscotti

1) 1 cup pine nuts, toasted at 350 on a baking sheet 6-8 minutes & set aside. 2-3/4 c. flour, plus flour for work surface (I used whole wheat flour, but you might prefer unbleached white) 1/2 tsp baking soda 3/4 tsp baking powder pinch of salt 4 eggs, beaten lightly 1 cup sugar 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped (you could probably use dried leaves) 1 tsp lemon zest 2) sift the dry ingredients and set aside (I don't bother sifting) 3) beat the eggs until blended. Remove 2 T and set aside. Beat sugar into remaining eggs till blended. Stir in vanilla, rosemary & lemon zest, then flour mixture to make a soft dough. (uh - I added the sugar to the dry ingredients by mistake, but it didn't seem to matter. I also added 1/4 c oil to the mixture, because the whole wheat flour makes a really dry mixture.) 4) Divide dough in half and on a well-floured surface, with floured hands, pat each into a 6" square. Scatter half the pine nuts on each square and press into the dough. 5) Roll dough into cylinders about 2" diameter and 15" long. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops with reserved beaten egg. 6) Bake at 350 about 15 min or till golden and firm to the touch (in my lousy oven, this takes about 25 min). Take out and slice into 1/2" slices and lay on baking sheet. Return to oven for 10 min, take out, turn slices over, bake another 10 min till golden on each side. Cool completely before serving. Yield: supposedly about 60 biscotti, but I only got 44. Whatever. Enjoy! I am going back to the studio.

2 comments:

Lin said...

YUUUMMMMYY!!! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for posting this!! Now will you go exercise with me after I consume all of this??? LOL SO SO YUMMY!

Judy said...

Thanks Rayna!
I appreciate the time it took you to write this out for us...time you could have spent in your studio having fun!!
xo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...