Tuesday, November 14, 2006

other stuff

I can't do any creative work yet because I have to put sleeves on a number of pieces for my solo exhibit. They have to be delivered the day after T-giving wknd - ack. Will I ever learn to put sleeves on when I make a piece? Probably not. However, the images below may inspire me. Sunday in Raleigh was wet and cold. On the way back to class from lunch,a few of us were walking together and Scott Murkin spotted these in the street. I grabbed my camera. While they look like random formations of leaves in the wet gutter,Scott said he thought there was nothing random about them: they had been blown into their patterns by the direction of the wind. They remind me of sand formations, also blown by the wind. Scott maintains that everything has a pattern, whether we are aware of it or not. In nature, this is probably true. Then, of course, there are behavior patterns -- but that is another subject We found out that these are the leaves of the willow oak. We were talking about oak leaves on the way to lunch (the sidewalks were full of them) - and about the different kinds of oak trees. A student overheard us and came running after us with a ton of information about oak leaf shapes. You never know who is listening, or what you can learn when people volunteer information.

5 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

I've taken up sleeve making as a new form of procrastination. As I clean the studio and uncover finished projects, I am interrupting the cleaning to cut, measure, iron, pin and then hand stitch their sleeves. Could be worse - I could be making postcards from floor scraps.

Rayna said...

Ah, yes, postcards from floor scraps... been there, done that!

Anonymous said...

Rayna, I read your blog at least every few days :) I've been weaning myself from quiltart--but occasionally check the archives and saw that you like a little feedback that we really are reading your blog... I enjoyed meeting you in Raleigh-- it was fun, I hope we'll have a chance to get together again. Will you go to the SAQA conference?

Ferret said...

I rather like those patterns. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Anonymous said...

This is our first fall in Portland and I am talking a ton of leaves. they come and clean them up and there are always more. But I love how the loss of leaves from the trees, means more light in our house, njust when we need it. Now that AQT is past, I am counting the days until Claremont and my class with you!!!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...