Tuesday, November 21, 2006

revisiting an old friend

Spent the morning finishing the sleeve stuff and putting sticks in all my pieces. And I spent the afternoon with an old friend. This was the first piece I made with screenprinted fabric and it was juried into the first Art Quilts at the Whistler in 2002. It is 18" square and because I didn't know then about gallery wrap canvas, I built my own stretcher bars. After a few years, it was looking rather saggy (like its owner) and today, I added some stitching and restretched it properly. It will go into my upcoming solo exhibit. I have renamed it "Night Visitors." Please do me a favor: click on it to enlarge and then tell me what you see.

Now I have to think about pricing it. In 2002 I did not want to sell it, so I put an astronomical price on it. It makes me so happy to look at it that I think I will treat myself to working on a piece or two tonight. And if I get anywhere, I may check back later.

7 comments:

lizzieb said...

I see layers and layers of people and layers of their stuff, stuff from living many years, and it all goes back many, many years. Very earthy and very warm. Something I could study for a long time and really need to see up close to appreciate it more. I know there are many subleties within the piece but I can only get a glimmer of them

Olga said...

Funnily enough, before I read your request for viewers to click and comment I thought 'Merz' as soon as I saw this image.

http://www.tate.org.uk/collections/glossary/definition.jsp?entryId=163

deb said...

I'm not going to interpret. A beautiful metallic glow, a sweet sleeping face, a ticket stub, and an ad for MURAD...

Judy said...

I would love to have it here with me, so that I could "study" it at my leisure! Maybe when my ship comes in........!
xo

Fulvia said...

cauchemar pas réalisé, that's what I see.

Gerrie said...

I see a couple of curmudgeonly old people.

susie monday said...

Reyna-- the surprise for me was reading the size after I looked at the pic -- this quilt has a monumental quality that belies the actual size. how cool is that!

PS -- I am going to experiment with soy wax batik for the first time. can you send me to any good instructions or resources?

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...