Sunday, June 17, 2007

murder in the garden

No corpses, just skeletons. Every single yellow daylily blossom and almost every bud - GONE! Cut off at the top of the stem. Et by the damn deer. Or the damn turkeys. Or rabbits on stilts.
Grrrrrrr! This happened a few years ago and then the last couple of years, the anti-deer spray kept them away. I sprayed this year, too - but they must be immune by now.

I HATE this and it has made me very grouchy. I am especially grouchy when I see everybody else's beautiful garden shots. Somebody around the corner has planted two plastic flowers under her tree. They really look cheesy, but at least they are still there in the morning.


5 comments:

Vicki W said...

You can join my Mother in the "deer hating club" - the same thing happened to her last week (here in Southern Virginia). She used some very ugly words!

lizzieb said...

oh, my goodness, my sincerest sympathies are with you...

Anonymous said...

We had this problem in California. We used to spray with something called "Not tonight, Deer". Once the sprinklers went off or it rained, we had to spray again.

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem, but for Dad the kids got a motion sensitive sprayer for the garden (at least) and all have been startled and deterred by the spray, except for the rabbit who ate the red leaf lettuce. I guess they don't mind the rain.
JoAnn

Deb Hardman said...

I feel your pain Rayna my dear. I finally told the gal at the local nursery thaty should just put the sign up "Moose Buffet", for certain plants. I spent over $100.00 on calenduls one year, & the moose pulled them out by the roots, ate every bit.

I've found that they don't care for pansies, & violets, & Nastursiums,Nicotinia, & Foxglove, so that's what we usually plant.
Good luck.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...