Thursday, October 23, 2008

lost and found

My paints. In my studio, under something (big surprise there). So this afternoon, I went to work experimenting. On Monday, after the car ate my homework I took the substitute plate to class. That assignment had been to make a plate with fabric. I used silk, linen, ribbon, batting, and shelf liner (does rubber count as fabric?) What a pain, trying to get the stuff to stick. Instead of doing something abstract, I decided to see if I could do a familiar scene. I hated this print so much that I threw it in the trash. Then the teacher insisted I rescue it and overprint it with black. I still hate it, but not quite as much. Nevertheless, I added some layers to the plate today: silver tape, drywall tape, sequin waste. and printed a few more. I like this one the best. It's on gray paper and I think all that stuff I added gives it more texture and depth. But my friend Mona, who is a printmaker and teaches at Pratt, thought the first one was stronger. I have already begun to remove some of the additional stuff from this plate and will print again tomorrow. Honestly, surface design is easier. But I love the challenge of learning to work with new tools. On another subject, the local newspaper is doing a story on me because I have artwork in the show at the Carol Simon Cancer Center. They're sending a photographer tomorrow morning who wants to take a picture of quilts on my wall. So I have to get up early and find a wall to hang something because none of my work hangs in the house, except in the guest room. Never a dull...

2 comments:

Bonnie Samuel said...

I enjoyed seeing this work that you don't care for develop and it's very interesting. Better still with your great wit!

Wen Redmond said...

love your print plates themselves!

I've moved my blog

Follow me over to     https://rgillman.wixsite.com/studio78/blog  , subscribe to get the updated posts, and please leave me a comment (a...