Tuesday, October 28, 2008

lost weekend?

The phone woke me at 10 am, I went back to sleep and finally dragged myself out of bed at 10:40. This NEVER happens....but it was pouring, as it had been all night. The perfect day to sleep late -- although I hadn't intended it. By the time I showered, dressed and put up the coffee, it was almost lunchtime. But before I had my coffee, I grabbed my camera. I've been watching the trees change from day to day and this morning, in the dismal gray weather, they were especially vibrant. If this were a painted scene it would be cornball. Look at that red on the left! With a sigh of relief, I decided I didn't need to go further than the mailbox today -- and since it felt like a soup day, it was the perfect day to try the recipe for Mulligatawny soup someone had posted on another list. I had all the ingredients: red lentils, hot peppers, fresh ginger, fresh cilantro, coconut milk, garlic, onions, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and even gram flour (chickpea flour), which I bought a while ago in case I ever had an urgent need for it. LOL. It pays to be prepared for all eventualities. While I was at it, I made the rest of dinner: ground lamb and pine nut-stuffed eggplant and kale salad. The soup was fragrant and delicious and so was the rest of the meal. The only thing I didn't do was bake - because I had to pay my mother's bills. Till that point, the day was lovely and relaxing. Then I had to take another picture. See those little white dots? Yep. snow. A little while earlier it had been so warm there was thunder. Go figure. I brought the plant in. But let's back up a bit... Last night was my collagraph class and yes, I was too tired to write about it when I got home at 9:30. Our homework was to carve into a plate so we could print intaglio and relief with two colors in one pass. WELL. First of all, I am not fond of sharp instruments. Second, I can carve into that soft rubber stuff with a speedball thing but have never carved into mat board with an exacto knife. So, my plate didn't look like anybody else's. All those other people carved gorgeous, detailed, recognizeable objects. I had lumps. Here is how the lumps printed. Afterwards, teacher gave me a carving lesson and I spent the rest of the evening practicing how to do it the right way. Not sure I really needed to know. Good thing we don't get grades.

8 comments:

Gerrie said...

I like the prints, any way! I can't imagine you doing something too refined - not the queen of founnd object printing!!

The fall color photos are gorgeous.

Karoda said...

The red this year in the leaves appears so much vibrant then I can recall in previous fall seasons...the scene from your window is definitely eye popping.

Deb said...

I just got back from a week with family in Westchester and the leaves were a delight and a pain (I raked).

If those three pieces were mistakes, please sign me up for #2 in case you were thinking of trashing it. It's wonderful.

Rayna said...

#2 is my favorite, too.

Linda B. Dunn said...

I want to come over for supper.

Judy said...

Oh man, I like those prints! The first one is so bright, and the last one is so mellow.

I cannot believe you had all of the stew makings in your kitchen!

xo

Diane said...

The soup sounds absolutely delish! And congrats on even making it through your class, I have such a fear of knifes I couldnt have done a thing there!

Liz said...

Well, if that's the result of lumps, I'll take lumps anytime!!! I love the second one too...

Hmm, gram flour. Wonder if I can get that round here? That might be a solution to not being able to eat wheat flour...

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...