Wednesday, December 24, 2008

carpe diem

As the new year approaches, I wonder how this past year has vanished so quickly. I have spent the afternoon revising a slide presentation for my digital projector and realize that the last time I gave this talk, I used a slide projector. All of my pre-2000 work needed to be shot digitally, so I've been going through "vintage Rayna" and shooting the old ones. I made this piece in 1998 (or so the label says). The crit group to which I belonged was doing challenges, which was a good way to jump-start creativity for budding art quilters. We each brought a quotation, put them all in a paper bag, and you had to make something that was inspired by what was you pulled out of that bag. I had just started dyeing fabric and had a bunch of these baby blocks left over from a quilt I never made because I couldn't imagine making enough for a whole quilt. Here was the quote I pulled: The past is over; the future hasn't happened yet. And as you experience the present, it becomes the past. All you have is the moment; all you have is now. Carpe Diem. Let's make the most of every day!

6 comments:

annecopeland said...

This is such a great piece, and it is really nice to look back on your older work and be able to have it look so good! When I look at MY older work, all I can do is laugh. This is really an inspiration!

I wish for you and your family the happiest of holiday seasons, full of good food, good friends, and even more good memories. I wish you the very best life has to offer for the new year and always.

Anonymous said...

I love that piece too Rayna! Love the way the blocks just seem to float so peacefully through the air. I would love to see the background fabric up a little closer....is it stamped? I cannot tell.
Best wishes for a healthy and peaceful 2009 filled with joy and love.

xo

Eva said...

It is painstaking to digitalize slides. And it takes a special device of scanner. Aren't there services in your town who would do that for you? Not the professional studios, they are too expensive. But print studios or similar offices? Or bored student? I think it is worth while. Now I'll go on reading your older posts. Thanks for the recent comment.
Big hug, Eva

Sherryl said...

I like this piece Rayna. I can see these ideas in your new works. I am still in my infancy.... wonder where I will be in 10 years.
Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2009.

Diane said...

Happy 6th day of Hannukah! Here's wishing you and Marty the best for 2009...Lots of love, good health, and peace and joy.

Diane

Terry Grant said...

I love that quote. I should have it tattooed on the palm of my hand just so I'll remember it. Carpe diem, indeed.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...