Thursday, December 04, 2008

a random day

Today was one of those days where almost everything that happened was unplanned. After an early appointment, I was going to get a pedicure. But first, the car wash because I couldn't see out of my windows. So even though they were predicting rain (accurately, of course) I simply couldn't put it off any longer. The car wash was conveniently next door to Home Depot, so since I was there, in I went. Bought end caps for two of my shibori pipes. And twine. And a bunch of these gizmos, whatever they are. Washers? Widgets? Having grown up in a hardware store, you'd think I would know the names of everything. But it doesn't matter. Nothing had prices or codes, so the cashier had to take out a laminated sheet with pictures on it and place each gizmo on a picture to see which one it fit so she could tell the size. Then she had to look it up in the computer to see the price of each one. Since I had several dozen assorted sizes, you can imagine how happy the people behind me in line were. Filled the tank - 12 gal. and it only came to just under $20. Keep in mind this is New Jersey and the guy does it for you. On the upside, you don't have to get out of your car in the heat/cold/snow/rain. On the downside, you have to sit and wait till he deals with the other 4 cars that were there filling their tanks ahead of you. $1.71/gal for credit, $1.63 for cash, Shell Oil. It would have been less if I had paid cash, but I had spent it all on gizmos for shibori. Nevertheless, I paid $47 to fill up the same tank a couple of months ago. This is too good to last. I went to see my mother and ended up taking her out to lunch and buying new batteries for her TV zapper so she could get more than one channel. I also stopped at Jerry's and bought printmaking paper for tomorrow and Monday. Tomorrow, I am going over to Susanna Baker's to see her work: she draws, does encaustic, and has a press. Hence, the paper. I am about done ironing for tonight. Tell me why I am doing this - it is a bottomless pit. There is plenty here that belongs in the trash, and I am finding scraps of cloth I printed a decade ago. Dear, dear. It took me several minutes to figure out what I had done to this piece of commercial fabric. Then, the light went on. I will take it with me in April when I go to Golden, CO (April 19) to give a one day workshop at the headquarters of Quilters Newsletter. Maybe I'll give it another layer when I'm there. As I turn out the lights in my sewing room, I realize that I never did get that pedicure today.

4 comments:

Eva said...

It is most wonderful what the mind of the spectator can see within small pieces of random dyed cloth. It is like spotting clouds which become fish and horses after a few minutes. A horizontal line turns the peace into a landscape, faces appear, human silhouettes...

Unknown said...

I drove by a gas station today and was astonished to see $2.89! Yippee! It was $4.89 not very long ago. We never thought we'd see it below $4 again, much less $3. Makes me want to fill up just because. Hope your holidays are great!

Karoda said...

Ever since I read about the hot cocoa and cinnamon toast I've had it almost every day...some days I've substituted sweet potato pie for the toast...the ironing bug has yet to rub off on me...I think I'm immune to it.

badmomgoodmom said...

I was astonished to see $1.85 gas in LA last night. However, I was sad about that.

Here in LA, it is not the price of gas that deters us from driving, it is the traffic. I found myself reminiscing with coworkers at lunch the other day, "Remember when gas was $4.50 a gallon and there was no traffic?"

I would gladly pay even $6/gallon, like in Europe, if it took cars off the road. Of course, I drive the most fuel efficient 8-passenger minivan (carpooling & camping) and 5-passenger sedan (Prius) available in the US and I live close to work. Even at $6/gallon, I would still spend less than $1000/year on gas.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...