Thursday, April 23, 2009

a day off?

Today I went to the Newark Museum to print on a square of cloth for their Centennial celebration. They have invited artists to come and each print one of 100 12" squares of duck that will somehow be fastened together and hung. I brought my camera but left the card at home - ha ha - fuzzy brain is still at it. While I was in Grand Junction Jane Aldoretta told me that Jacquard had a big sale on discontinued colors of Versatex paints: the 4 oz. were $1 and the 8 oz. were $2.50. So I went to their website and called them to order what were probably some of the ugliest colors I have seen. Except for the light brown, of course, which I will use a lot: the rest were metallics. I took a jar of the brown to the museum with me, along with some Thermofax screens and a bondo scraper. There were a number of artists there but I can't imagine that they will get enough of them showing up to make 100 squares. Nice thought, though. After that gig I went directly to the studio,where I have been promising myself to go since I got home. I left it in a mess and of course, spent most of the time straightening up - without a lot of progress. Tomorrow I must order a longer table for printing and then figure out what I am going to do for storage. I fear that my lovely area in the front of the studio will get smaller. And I need shelves!! I can't stand it. I should call in a feng shui consultant. Or maybe I should just iron for a couple of days... Here is a piece of fabric I screened on late one night after my class had gone home and I was alone in Jane's studio. Bleh. I had a brilliant idea of what I should do with it, but by then I was too tired. So I brought it home with me: that was smart. I'm still too tired. The camera picked up the yellow, which the naked eye doesn't see - although I did paint that color dye on to get rid of the PINK. Maybe tomorrow I can print on it....after I figure out what I am doing for storage. Or not.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

Rayna, I think that is a lovely piece of cloth...reminds me of weathered cement...kinda has a chiseled look to it.

And I wish I could sale you my 25 dollar table I have at my brother's...its too big for his midsize suv and I don't want him on the road with the back door tied up for the distance in order to bring it to me. Everyone I know has gotten rid of their big honking trucks. My plan was to convert to a sewing machine table but it would make an excellent print table too.

Eva said...

Maybe it is a lot of pink, but sometimes I find that small portions of pink create a wild kind of tension to the other colours, especially mud and clay tones. The very natural versus the very artificial.

Fibra Artysta said...

Do you have an IKEA by you? IKEA is the kind of organization, they've helped me tame my studio. What's great - especially when you are looking for tables - is that you can configure your own. Love them.

kathy said...

I think some black on that pink/yellow piece would be very interesting. Keep sharing it's progress.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...