Friday, July 03, 2009

Happy 4th on the 3rd and other topics

Fireworks on July 3rd?? Who ever heard of such a thing? It's a good thing I didn't go to bed early because at 9:pm the booms started right outside my window (or so it seemed). At first, i thought it was kids playing with illegal fireworks because it was so close. Get this: the next town held their fireworks tonight -- about a mile from our house. Why tonight? Because it was originally scheduled for July 1 with a July 2 rain date. Since it rained both nights, they held the fireworks tonight. HUH? I'll leave that to the calendar experts: it's like celebrating Washington's B.D. a week early because it is convenient for the government. On another subject - I have not blogged for the last couple of nights because I have simply been flat-out too tired from turning Fibber McGee's closet into a habitable room. Trust me, this is NEAT. The clock says 12:30 (a.m.) - I've been sewing (gasp!) and ironing (double gasp)and at midnight there were kids screaming and yelling out in the street, so after I went outside and did a little screaming myself (they were accompanied by their parents, no less - unfortunately our new across-the-street neighbors) I decided I had better post while my adrenalin is flowing. Going through all the odds and ends and deciding what to do with all of the little things is the hard part. I could open my own optical shop with all the old eyeglasses I found. Most of them will go to New Eyes for the Needy but I will need a couple of pairs of frames in which to put new prescription sunglasses. Next: what am I supposed to do with this item? It's an am/fm/micro-cassette player. I have no idea to whom it belonged or why it is here. Who listens to micro-cassettes with earphones? or even without them? I think the only micro-cassettes I have are in my non-functioning answer-phones. Maybe I should dig them out - I might hear voices of the dead whose messages are still recorded. But afterwards, what do I do with this machine? I haven't even gotten into the trunk, which is full of antique quilt blocks I once bought at a flea market. Anybody want to buy antique quilt blocks? And then there are the two Polaroid cameras for which they no longer make film. Speaking of film - ROLLS that need to be developed, probably of my 10 year old grandson when he was a baby. And several flash cards for my Canon, one of which had about six pictures of this on it. Another quilt I never made. God only knows what else I will find once I look beneath lids and doors and in drawers. I think I'll skip that part. Bactracking: I was in the studio every day but today and my roommate was there two days this week, which was a pleasure. On Wednesday, I finally had an arrangement on the wall that I was happy with and I left it sitting. I've been ironing and sorting, which is interminable but must be done. I'm doing a little bit of over-printing as I go through the fabrics, just to change the pace. But because I love the printing so much, I can't let myself get sidetracked from the task at hand: filling plastic storage boxes.
Tip of the iceberg. I am going to bed.

9 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

The same things happened here; big fireworks on the 3rd.

Your piles of fabric look gorgeous.

Sherryl said...

Printing on fabric is addictive, so I just learned. Your piles of fabric are gorgeous.

Judy said...

Happy 4th back at ya Rayna. Your sewing space does look neat! I'm really trying to straighten up and organize EVERYTHING....shifting stuff from the sewing room to the studio and vice versa! One should not be allowed to accumulate so much schlock!! I'm almost embarrassed! Love that piece you showed in the middle.....and yes, the stacks of gorgeously printed fabrics!

Be safe, be good, be healthy and be happy!

queenopearls said...

Always a delight and I understand the fireworks on the 3rd. Here, they may be rained out on the 4th. We'll see.
Funky discovery finds! Hilarious. Maybe the Smithsonian?
I've also nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award.
~Christina

queenopearls said...

oops.. details about the award on my blog
http://artandfiber.blogspot.com/

Fibra Artysta said...

The bins of fabric look soooooo tempting!

Karoda said...

Rayna, a few months back Amazon still had polaroid 600 film available. I ordered some around the first of the year and forgot that it does have an expiration date...prolly will use my rolls up in a few weeks playing around with image transfers.

Jamie Fingal said...

Love the quilt you never made - it has beautiful, fun and cheerful colors!

Minka said...

I'm still waiting for inspiration to clean. Every few months or so, I tackle part of the problem. I just don't have what it takes to do the whole thing at once. In spite of my slugish attempts, I think I'm beginning to see a difference. I've meant to document it with photos as you have done, but no luck. Maybe if I had noisy neighbors to get my adrenalin going, who knows what might happen! Anyway, Bravo!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...