Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy 4th on the 4th

Tonight's fireworks were not as loud as yesterday's and I was so busy that I wasn't even aware of them till it got quiet out there. And what, you may ask, was I doing?? See these bins? Three -- count' em. THREE:empty!! I took out every scrap and piece of yardage. They have all been sorted, ironed, and put into plastic bags (one of which is trash). I have only 3 ins to go - but they are all commercial fabrics, which I use for backs. I just need to sort, iron, and neaten. The weather was delicious today: the first day without rain in a month. It was clear, breezy, and warm with no humidity. Perfect! So perfect, in fact, it was a shame to be in. So I set up a thiox bath on the deck and decided to do a little discharge. All of my resists are at the studio so I didn't do anything spectacular -- but I was very pleased at the color of this piece: yellow - and brighter than it looks on my monitor, at least. In addition to discharging a few black fabrics, I used the bath to take out the color of quite a few pieces. I must have been on a medium-blue binge at one point because everything is the same (boring) nowhere blue that is too dark to print on and too light to provide contrast. Actually, I realize that I don't love blue. So, lots of fabric went into the thiox bath and I will overdye it in some other color. This piece was so dark that I could hardly see the printing, but once it discharged to a beige-y color I was able to see that it must have been a demo piece for a class. Base color will remail and I'll add another layer. Instead of dyeing/printing new fabric, I am going to go back and revise what I already have and see what I can do with it. Lots of possibilities for new work in my stash. Here's what I did yesterday and forgot to post. I stitched on these two pieces, which are pretty much done and not finished at the edges yet. I'm happy with them. Can't keep eyes open. G'night.

3 comments:

Eva said...

When I just saw the thumbnail of the 1st picture, I thought it was a photo transfer and something that had to do with WTC ruins... The 2nd piece is exiting! What a wonderful thought that there will be no end to experiments. And the tree quilts... nothing to be said, I adored them before.

Diane Wright said...

Now that I've read what Eva posted, I hate to be repetitive..You did spur me to look at some of the work that I'm not happy with. Maybe a thiox bath is just what it needs. Thanks!

Judy said...

Ahhhhhh: Thiox baths are so restorative!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...