Thursday, August 06, 2009

putting on my oxygen mask

I spent most of the day in the studio working on something else -- completely immersed in it while this sat on my wall and smiled at me. It is almost there, I think. This was a mental health day and I expect tomorrow to be the same: I sewed. (of course, the gremlins made off with my rotary cutter during the night, so I had to go out at noon and buy another one. I bought two, just for good measure). I have also decided I will go tomorrow morning and take in my Bernina 1020 that has been sitting here, needing service, for at least a year. It requires going quite a bit out of my way; the Bernina fixit guy is about an hour in the opposite direction from my studio. But enough is enough. In my studio I have my trusty, lightweight, very basic (straight and zigzag) mechanical Viking 210 that is the only sewing machine I ever bought new. It cost $400 at least 15 years ago: It sews just fine, is extremely easy to use and is light enough to carry anywhere -- but I miss my knee lift. My friend Mona and I talked today about how we need to be in the studio doing our art because it keeps us balanced, grounded, and sane enough to deal with our ageing mothers and all the other vicissitudes that life throws at us at this stage in our lives. It is our survival tactic - the oxygen mask we have to put on before we can help everybody else. In the last two days, two doctors have told me I need to take care of myself first. So imagine my surprise when tonight, I discovered twittascope (thanks, Von) and this was my reading for today:

Your approach to taking care of yourself is different from everyone else's, but you know what you need and should be able to get it. Don't waste your time and energy explaining your motives to your friends or family; just make the most of the present opportunity. Finding personal satisfaction in a way that's uniquely yours will refresh your soul and rejuvenate your body.

Refreshing my soul is in process but the body is another story. Do you think I can get my doctor to give me a prescription for a daily massage at a local day spa?

10 comments:

Liz Berg said...

this is so very different for you! What fun!

karoda said...

of course any post with oxygen in the title gets my attention :)

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I'm just loving your stripey posts at the moment

Carolyn

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the piece! It holds my attention as I study the details...
Yours is the second blog post today I have read concerning taking care of ourselves, and I totally agree! Good luck with the massage prescription... what a concept!

Del said...

Love the colors.
Gee, if your doctor will go along with that massage prescription I will fly out for a consultation with him! 8>)))

Eva said...

I love the colours of your quilt top and the irregular angles.
You know this kind of care from related persons who know better what is good for you than you do? I sometimes have to prove on myself as a lab rat that their methods are wrong. At least it works. But not without losses.

Unknown said...

I love this piece - gives me the idea that I could use of loads of my pieces of fabris. I would love to spend more time in studio - shame I have to work full time. Only another 15 years before I can retire!!

Unknown said...

This piece continues to blow me away. Thanks for taking us on the ride with you. I don't know what twittascope is, but thanks for posting the "wisdom." It's been a very tedious week taking Mom to appointments plus unpacking her every morning, where is she trying to go? Alz is bloody awful! I'm drained this week . . .a personal health day is just the right prescription!!!

Unknown said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

TALL GIRL said...

Isn't a live-in masseuse is the true definition of Nirvana? That's my long-term goal anyway!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...