Thursday, August 13, 2009

recharging my batteries

...both the camera's and mine. Today, I braved the traffic, two bridges, and expressways I have never been on before as I drove, white-knuckled, to Queens, NY. Deep breaths but I got there in time and in one piece. As I said yesterday (I think) I went to the intimate graveside funeral service for my friend Bonnie's mother...and I was very happy that I went. After the service (greatly delayed because when the opened the grave there was a huge boulder that they had to remove before they could proceed -- don't ask!) we went out for a (very late) lunch and I headed home just in time for rush hour. This time, I blundered into a different route that took me into Brooklyn, over the bridge to Manhattan and turned out to be much more relaxing than the trip going. While it took 2 hours to get home, at least I knew where I was. I sat on Canal St. (Chinatown) for an interminable amount of time, en route to the Holland Tunnel: a much more interesting place to be in a traffic jam than the highway. I've been working diligently for the last couple of hours on the sow's ear. And with all the random sewing, I have discovered the zen of sitting at the machine. Here is pretty much everything, chopped up, reconstituted, and with some other fabrics added. It is becoming something that I think I can be happy with, if I can make it work the way I want to. Most of my fabrics are in the studio and I am working on this at home, so I am limited. But maybe this is a good thing. Here is a closer view of what is now the center section. We'll see what develops over the next few days. I am too tired to use my brain so I am going to bed. What else is new?

7 comments:

Martha Wolfe said...

....if you add some black and white, you'll be embracing your cityscape of Chinatown!

wlstarn said...

I was just thinking the same thing; there are two different windows in the close up shot.

Sherryl said...

This is beginning to look more like you.

Rayna said...

Yes, it was pretty clear to me last night as it went on the wall that it is evolving as another urban piece, albeit different from the usual. Can't get away from it, can I? We'll see if I can make it work the way I want it to. I can't move it off the wall at home so I'll have to bring home more fabric. ARGH.

Judy said...

the colors just knock me out....in a very good way!

xo

Eva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Acer Laptop Batteries said...

All I can say is that you should be in a newspaper. You should most definitely be recognized for your work. Its not every day that I get to see art like yours. Go ahead, publish your stuff because I guarantee you that you will be noticed amongst millions of other viewers! Go ahead, take advantage of your talent, you got it!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...