Tuesday, September 15, 2009

another art opening

What could be better than two art openings in three days?? Today's exhibit was Judy Langille's solo show at the Interchurch Gallery on Riverside Drive on the upper west side of Manhattan, near Columbia University. Here she is with the piece she said it was ok to shoot. Interestingly, she had it as a horizontal and the curator preferred it as a vertical. It looks great this way. It is a beautiful show of her work done in the last 6 or 7 years -- and you can really see the progression over time. It was great to see so many pieces together; we (the four of us from our crit group who were there) are so used to seeing the work one or two at a time that 21 at once was a treat. Here is a picture I took of (l-r) Rachel, Aleeda, Sherry, and Joan. I drove in and Rachel and Sherry came with me. Joan is a mixed media artist who is a student of Judy's. And my friend Aleeda took the train in and came home in the car with us. We had so much fun talking in the car that even the NJ traffic didn't faze us! As we lef the building where the exhibit was, I grabbed my camera and took two quick shots. This building, across the street, is part of Barnard and looks like classrooms. We didn't get close enough to this building two blocks north to see what it was, but it looks like the iconic Columbia building in the midst of restoration. We headed for Martha (the lower deck of the George Washington Bridge) and were home by 7:00, having missed rush hour, thank goodness. Now - time to make coffee and work as late as I can tonight. Too much to do!

4 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I'm so envious of all the art exhibitions in you area.

Judy said...

I love, love, love that piece of Judy's! I'd wish I could get up close and personal with her work, ad you know how much I admire what she does!! Thanks for the pics!!

xo

tallgirl said...

Martha? I love it! Another of those local quirky-isms.

Anonymous said...

Ever since they built the deck under George, she's been Martha to the locals for obvious reasons.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...