Thursday, November 05, 2009

hb2me

There is something to be said for a birthday and, I must now admit, for an iPhone.(can't find my camera but my iPhone helped me out here with the pix). Not bad for an old person, now that I look at it. Maybe the iPhone has a special airbrush app for such photos - LOl. The day was a treat, starting a a DELICIOUS South Indian lunch prepared by my friend Sujatha! She invited me, along with our friend Ritika, to enjoy each others' company and to share a meal better than anything you can get in a restaurant here. I didn't take pictures of the food but trust me -- it was heaven! Sujathata has promised to send me the recipe for her tomato chutney and I think I may have to barter with her for cooking lessons! Both Sujatha and Ritika are artists - they are silk painters and Sujatha also paint on canvas and does printmaking What a pleasure to share ideas and concerns about being/not being taken seriously. Paint on canvas - fine! Paint on fabric - huh? It's been a long time since I have gotten a birthday gift but today I got a few of them. A beautiful silk pouch from Sujatha and a splendid bag from Ritika that will be an asset when I have someplace elegant to go. My cousin Mimi is here from Fla for the weekend (I had to put on the heat for her!) and she came bearing gifts, too. Two gorgeous one-of-a-kind necklaces that she made. I love them and the iPhone picture doesn't do them justice. Finally, from Anne & Jeremy and the boys - gift cards to Fairway market! I am going to treat myself to exotic olives and other goodies I would not buy with my regular grocery budget. What fun! Yes, generally I blog at night because by morning I will never remember what I wanted to say. Tomorrow will be another long (not art-related)day in NY . And so to bed.

25 comments:

Gerrie said...

Why didn't I know it was your birthday? Hipp Birdy Two Ewes!!

Eva said...

Wonder how to tell J... "Sorry, I fell in love with Rayna."

Eva said...

And: Belated happy birthday! Good luck and best health in the year to come!

Del said...

AH-HA - not the fourth, but the fifth of November. So, another wish for a great, creative year ahead. Love, Del-at-home

Aleeda said...

Many happy, creative returns, Rayna! I'll see you on the 15th.

Mostly Turquoise said...

Sounds like a very nice birthday to me with lovely presents. Happy (belated) Birthday, Rayna!

Sujatha said...

It was a pleasure having you over. And lovely to know you enjoyed the day and does my soul good to have my cooking appreciated and praised so !! :)

Marni Goldshlag said...

Happy Birthday, Rayna! Sounds like it was a good one.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Well, belated Happy Birthday! It sounds like it was a lovely day, full of goodies! And you don't look a day over 40 to me, iphone picture or not! Have a wonderful, creative, delicious year!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday !! Rayna!!
About the painting on fabric... I was a ta local quilt Guild show the other day and several ladies were ohhing and aweing over a painted patch on a beautiful old Crazy QUilt. Poeple were flabergasted that ladies used to show off their painting skills on there quilt patches. "Not only that, (I bravely chimed in) Some of us like to paint on our quilts After they are quilted as the stitching adds such wonderful texture when paint is added!" You would have thought that I ahd sprouted 5 heads right there in front of them!!! What a hoot!! Art on my friend you are our mentor leading the painting revolution and rediscovery!!!
Your wonderful Birthday meal sounds simply divine!! Have a wonderful weekend!!
Smiles!
Elizabeth

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Sounds like it was a very Happy Birthday. YEAH

Beverly said...

Happy Birthday, Rayna- I'm glad it was a festive and fun one. Here's wishing you another wonderful year of art, family and friends. (And you look great, too!!)

Anonymous said...

Now that's a Celebration!!!

Happy Birthday, Rayna.

Ms Closet

Sherryl said...

Happy Belated Birthday.Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Cate Rose said...

Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday...you didn't let any of us know!
Glad it was a wonderful day, and you look great!!
Hugs and kisses.

Debra Dixon said...

Happy Birthday! and not a day over 40, right? You look fab!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAYNA!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day and another great one today.... delightful!

Unknown said...

I always consider the entire week that my birthday falls on a celebration. so, celebrate big time for a week!!! Lovely gifts for a lovely lady!!

Jeannie said...

Happy Birthday Rayna! May all your dreams come true!

Nina Marie said...

Happy belated birthday Rayna - I swear - I honestly think that there is something in creativeness that keeps the person young looking. Although you do have great skin, I think its your attitude that shines through to make you look so great! You're an inspiration! Ohhhh and yeah - I want a friend who can make me yummy Indian food. The only Indian restaurant they have here they turned into a nudie bar - sighhhhhh!!

Diana said...

Happy Birthday, fellow November's child and eternal inspiration! (mine's tomorrow) :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Rayna. (Mine was last Saturday--Halloween.)

Yesterday, st our Sisters in Cloth meeting, three of us were wearing our special Rayna scarves. We love them.

Terry Grant said...

Missed your birthday, but hope it was great!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know it was your birthday either. Facebook's birthday app is slipping (or you never put your birthday in your profile). Have a healthy happy year ahead.

--Bonnie

Russ Little said...

Oops. Sorry I missed the day. Happy Birthday and many, many more. Glad to hear you're lovin' that iPhone. -R

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...