Monday, November 09, 2009

Ta Da!

Yes, Eva, you were right about my not wanting to be deprived of the pleasure of writing little numbers down on little pieces of cut-up paper, folding them, and throwing them into a brown paper lunch bag - LOL. Twice the work and half the fun! Marty drew out the winning number and it is Regina Dwarkasing who will wear the scarf. I wish you could all have won - honestly, but I'll have another drawing on my 5 year Blogiversary at the end of January. One box of supplies went out to Michigan today and another one will go out tomorrow; I did not have time to pack both of them. Here's why. Marty was scheduled at the V.A. hospital for an 8:00 and a 9:00 appointment. They told us to be there at 7:30, which meant leaving the house at 7, which meant getting up at 6. Marty was up at 5. Since we are punctual people, we arrive on the dot of 7:30, only to discover that the office doesn't open till 8:00. So we sit around for 1/2 hour. Then, the doctor he is supposed to see at 8 is MIA: not there and doesn't answer his beeper. So they tell us to go to our 9:am appointment and come back afterwards to see Dr. 8:00 MIA. The 9:00 appointment is for his eyes, so it takes 2 hours. We see Dr. 8:00 at about 11:15 and then have to go to room #522 to check out. "Where," you might ask, "is room 522??" After wandering the hallways of above-pictured institution for what seemed like days we discovered it was the "travel" counter in an alcove.(yes, we asked and no, nobody who worked there knew). Apparently, they are going to reimburse us for mileage, to the tune of $2.46. I can't wait till the check comes. We go back tomorrow for another round of appointments and another $2.46. It will cover the chips and crackers from the vending machine we had to eat so we wouldn't faint while waiting for Dr.8:00. Thankfully, I had the book that Jessica had given me some time ago and I hadn't gotten around to reading. "Heat," a book about working in Mario Batali's kitchen at Babbo. There is something perverse in reading about food while you are starving, but I couldn't put it down. I will save it for tomorrow again at the V.A. While we were hanging around between appointments, I got a call that my mother was in the E.R. because she claimed she couldn't breathe. Been there/done that a couple of months ago and there was nothing wrong so they sent her back. Ditto today. We got home before 2:pm, and I went to the studio for a few hours. Brought work home and am too tired to do it. I am considering signing myself into a sanitarium (do they still have those?) for a few weeks so somebody can take care of ME! Make that a spa - they have better food. Sorry not a lot of pictures tonight -- when I start putting photos of paper bags up, you know I am in trouble.Now, to bed early because tomorrow is another one of those days.

13 comments:

Nina Marie said...

Rayna - there is a special place in heaven for you! My gosh - what a day. Still this post brings out how hard it is to keep up the creative process and still manage our lives - no matter what your age! People wonder why quilters spend thousand of dollars to go to quilt conferences - that's the exact reason. Oh and yes - I vote - Day Spa instead of nuthouse but I think my preference would be that I just get me a wife!!

Eva said...

A day in Kafka's castle. You have all my sympathy. Not enough to be bothered by health trouble -- you have to spend precious hours with searching and waiting! Compensation should be paid for such a nuissance, that's true.
Hope that your sorrows will be gone soon.

Sujatha said...

God what a day!! But you still had tehenergyto blog it all!!!Hope tmr is a better day....AND Congrats to Regina for the scarf. Cant wait for the next draw :)

Judy said...

It seems that our lives are paralleling (is that a word) eachothers' these days, what with our husbands' Drs appts and our mothers' continued issues.......oh, and not to mention the cataracts! My heart goes out to you, and I only hope that today goes a bit more smoothly!

xo

Mostly Turquoise said...

Oh Rayna, you totally made my day! To start up my computer this morning and read that I am the lucky winner of your giveaway.
Thanks so much to Marty also for choosing my number. I will send you my address per email and will be very proudly wearing the scarf. Can't wait to see it in real!
Thank you once again,
a lucky Regina

Rayna said...

Ah, well - this is real life. Kafka-esque and never a dull moment. You all help me get through it with a dose of whatever humor I can scare up and your comments make it worth everything!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope today is better.

Debra Dixon said...

Holey Moley!

Carolyn Abramofsky said...

Don't spend that 2.46 all in one place now.

katherinesands said...

I find it's very difficult to spit out new creative work when all the personal stuff is going on. My brain just gives up. What a day for you, Rayna....my everlasting condolences...

Donna said...

Who says you're not funny! I thought this post had a lot of funny little commentary! It's great to maintain a sense of humor while going through trying experiences. Hooray for you! I enjoyed reading it. D~~~~

Linda Branch Dunn said...

O what a day. Big hug and a plate full of Indian food for you and Marty, who I hope is back in the pink soon.

Dawn said...

Hope today has turned out to be a better day, Rayna. When you find that spa, let me know. I'm ready for a little pampering, too.

{{hugs}}
Dawn
www.subversivestitch.blogspot.com

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...