Wednesday, December 23, 2009

miso soup

I can't make enough of this -- I'm eating it for breakfast, late night snack, or whenever. Just last night, I added to the batch I had. Is this an addiction that will soon run its course?? I am lucky enough to have stores around here that carry miso and wakame. If you don't have access to these ingredients, Asian Food Grocer does mail order. Every supermarket carries tofu and scallions. For 4 servings of Miso Soup : this takes about 5 minutes to make 4 cups of water 2 scallions, thinly sliced 1 package of medium or regular tofu, cubed 4 teaspoons of dried wakame (pronounced “wa ka may”) flakes, a type of seaweed (sometimes packaged as “healthy sea vegetable”) 4 tablespoons of white miso paste 1. Start boiling 3 cups of water in a pot. 2. Soak wakame flakes in a bowl of cold water until they expand, about a few minutes. 3. Add cubed tofu into the pot of water. I usually add this into the water, even if it has not begun boiling yet. 4. Drain the wakame flakes and add to the boiling water. 5. In a separate bowl, add miso paste to a cup of hot water. Whisk miso paste until it dissolves. 6. Turn off the boiling water and add the whisked miso paste. Mix well and enjoy! Sprinkle with the sliced scallions just before you eat it. YUM! *When reheating, heat the soup while stirring until it begins to boil, then turn off the heat. The miso soup will be heated thoroughly. Now I am going back to the kitchen to make Syrian meat and spinach pies for tonight's dinner. I used to make this with Pillsbury dough boy hot roll thingie in a tube but since I don't have any and am too lazy to go out, I will just go make the dough from scratch. Fortunately, I have bread flour and yeast. See 'ya later.

4 comments:

Eva said...

Thanks! I'll certainly try this.

Rita said...

Thank you, Rayna. I'm going to make it next week....I love soup!

Sherryl said...

I am loving your recipes. I haven't made Miso soup in 13 years. Great for this time of year. Thanks for all the recipe postings.

Unknown said...

I adore miso soup, will have to try this recipe! Thank you!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...