Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Textile Blog

In case you missed all my excited posts yesterday about being profiled on The Textile Blog, go take a look at a review of my art by someone who gets it.

I love this erudite, interesting and wide-ranging look at textiles, artists, and design - both historical and contemporary.  John Hopper, the author, sees textiles as ART and his overview and insights are illuminating.  I feel very lucky.
I remember being blown away by seeing the work of my friends Gerrie Congdon and Helene Davis  reviewed on the Textile Blog and there have been others -- some of whose work we know; others you might not be as familiar with. A world of discovery!  Check it out.

Except for picking up the newspapers from the driveway, I did not poke head out all day into the triple-digit heat. It was 103 here for the last couple of days and no signs of cooling off to any great degree.  Goodness!  That's ok - I have plenty to do that requires me to stay right where I am.
I think it is a day for therapy sewing...

7 comments:

Tiggy Rawling said...

Hi there, popped over to The Textile Blog. What a fabulous and insightful article. By the way, I have a cutting of Cacophony in a 'Things I Like' book. Back then I probably had not heard of you!!!! More power to your elbow.

Beverly said...

Congrats, Rayna- that is a very nice kudo for you, well deserved.

Hope you aren't melting with the heat wave I've been reading about--

india flint said...

discovered your pages by following the trail from the Textile Blog..and giggled over your description of yourself. the flake and hobby label is one that i'm familiar with.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

You know Rayna it could be worse thatn 103 degrees.
The last time I experienced 103 degrees I was pregnant, lived in a thired floor apartment and had no air conditioning.
So be thankful you are not pregnant!

Gerrie said...

John is so insightful. Almost all of the artists that I know who have been profiled by him feel as if he has seen the essence of what they do and put it into beautiful prose.

elle said...

Rayna, what a lovely tribute. Early Frost is haunting! I don't take script for granted anymore. My daughter commented about it being nice to have some of my mum's letters- her handwriting. My Dad, do I have his writing? I now pay close attention as I go thru memorabilia. I want to save it, their lives, in my own journals. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Lovely review of your work! Congrats!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...