Thursday, August 05, 2010

every day is an adventure

This is like saying every day is interesting - and you know what THAT means.  You know the old Chinese curse "may you have an interesting life."  Mine is nonstop interesting.  I am trying to figure out how I can make this art-related but have finally given up. It's just plain L-I-F-E. (and I'm giving you the short version).

The bad news is that two days ago, as we arrived at the V.A. hospital for Marty's hearing aid fitting, the parking lot rose up and hit him in the head.  The good news is that we were in the hospital parking lot and the E.R. was close at hand.  

 The good news is that the doctors and staff at the V.A. were wonderful and that he is ok, despite the nasty fall.

In the meantime, my 16 yr old nephew Harry arrived while Marty was in the E.R. and I had to go pick him up at the train.  Harry was en route from Pittsburgh to New Haven and stopped to see my mother (his Nana).  He turned out to be a delightful companion for me while I worried about Marty, and my mother was thrilled to see her grandson (whom she kept introducing to all the other residents as her nephew.  Oh, well -- close enough.)

Fast forward to today and the rescheduled hearing aid fitting...omg - my husband can HEAR!  After 28 years, I have to learn not to shout.
This is a good thing.

When we got home from all our various appointments today I saw what I thought were gifts from the Universe sitting outside my steps.
Rosemary!  Basil!  Fleurs!! Who could have given us this gift and not left a note??  A nice neighbor?  The gardener? A charitable soul?
Then I figured out it was my ex-DH, who had left his car for Jessica to borrow  and left his plants in Hilary's care while he went on vacation.  In fact, every member of our immediate family (all 6 kids) plus the grownups(so to speak) will be away for the month of August. 

Tomorrow, Josh and Ben will be here to tie-dye t-shirts.  Now, I am going to sleep off tonight's celebratory dinner (a toast to the audiologist) and the last three stressful days.

13 comments:

Nina Marie said...

Ya know Rayna, when I was a teen I thought that being an adult was all about great shoes and hot shirtless men. . .then I found out that it was just one problem to solve after another. Still remember - that every once in a while that awesome pair of shoes (or a nice glimpse of a hotshirtless guy) comes through and makes it all worth while LOL!! You hang in there!!

Karoda said...

Rayna, you are so right...it is just L-I-F-E and when you push against it is when it gets you down...its best to roll with it and remember to breath and sleep in spite of everything. Hangeth in, you and Marty both!

Gerrie said...

I just read your exclamation about the hearing to Mr C (I shouted it). I so want him to get hearing aids so that I do not have to interpret for him.

Sending hugs from upstate NY!

Mostly Turquoise said...

Rayna,

I know that LIFE-situation too well, but I finally learned to go with the flow and art will come again soon. Wonderful to read that Marty can hear again, that must be sooo strange for him (and you) I guess!
Grtz from SXM,
Regina

Bonnie said...

Glad to hear you got all the excitement over with before your trip to Europe.

Minka said...

Nina-Marie is right! The new modern hearing aids are great!

Quiet Quilter said...

Glad to hear that all are okay again. What a nice young man to stop and see his Nana. Now, LIFE goes on....adventures and all.

Eva said...

Best wishes for Marty to overcome the shock (I know that falling lingers)! I found firm hugs helpful against the trauma, don't you think so? Sounds stupid, sorry... just wishing the very best!
Turbulent days most everywhere.

wlstarn said...

I think that hearing aids can become a safety issue (as I told my mother when she got knocked over and had her purse snatched as she walked into her own front door a few years ago). She's 84 and still driving. I want her to hear whoever is honking at her, and hopefully be aware of her surroundings and any strange noises possibly made by lowlifes who prey on the elderly. P.S. They caught the guy. He was following old ladies to snatch their purses & left a clear palm print on her front door.

Russ Little said...

Glad the fall wasn't too bad and delighted to "hear" that the hearing aids are working well for Marty. Don't forget, now he might also able to hear what you used to be able to get away with saying behind is back! Could be a mixed blessing.

Judy Rys said...

Sometimes, LIFE really dumps some nasty surprises. I'm so glad there is a good ending. The hearing aide sounds like it's going to be wonderful for both of you.

elle said...

Life indeed. Mine is interesting as well and I'm still too loud in spite of my DH's hearing aids. lol

Diane Perin said...

Glad everyone is okay, after what sounds like a wild day. And I'm glad you no longer have to shout at your husband! I am so happy that my mom now has hearing aids and we can have actual conversations beyond "what? what?" again!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...