Monday, August 02, 2010

still at it

Not to beat a dead horse, but you asked how these chocolate-tahini things turned out.  When I got home today, Marty was in the process of demolishing one.
 
 He loved it, and he is not a dark chocolate person. Last night when I tasted it right out of the oven, it tasted too sweet to me.  I told Sandy that next time I will either use half the sugar (1/4 cup instead of 1/2) or use bitter chocolate instead of bittersweet.

BUT - tonight, my leftover bit over had settled in and was less sweet.  Some things just have to sit for a day.  We still have one left and I'll let the other member of the household have it. HE is the one who needs to gain weight around here!

Choc and tahini is a lovely, subtle, combo - although you could substitute peanut butter if you prefer.  And you can use regular flour or some kind of gluten-free flour instead of whatever it was in the recipe. Seems that almost anything will work.

Tonight's dinner was moules marinière (white wine, garlic, onion, bay leaves, thyme) over linguini, accompanied by a lovely fennel and celery salad, courtesy of Mark Bittman.  I am addicted to Mark Bittman: his recipes, his Minimalist columns for the NY Times, his blog...   My copy of How to Cook Everything is in shreds, literally because I use it almost every day (although why did it break at the page for braised stuffed squid, which I have never made?)
I love this book so much I gave one to each of my children. And then they gave me How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, which is also terrific. I have never seen a recipe for choco-tahini yummies in either book but you can't have everything.

Back to art...
When I started working on this piece and had something else entirely in mind, it was on this background.

Then I wanted to see what it would look like on a different background; by the time I posted it, this is what you saw.  Tonight, I am back to square one.  They both work for me, but the ambience changes with the background.
I wanted to look at overall value so I took photos of each in black and white. There appears to be more contrast in the darker piece, but not necessarily - and it depends on where you look.
In the end, this logical/analytical way of working is very interesting but it doesn't make me happy. I cannot make decisions based on logic because they are always wrong and I invariably regret not having gone with my instincts.  Of course, if my instinct doesn't tell me, that means neither choice is the right one and it's on to plan C (whatever that might be).  Or, either choice could be right. Yawn.
And with that yawn, I am off to bed. Was up at 3:30 this a.m. worrying about something (don't you hate that???) and we have an 8:am medical appointment tomorrow, which means getting up at 6:00. Not my favorite time of day.

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

I have to tell you a story. A mutual friend of Terry Grant and I has declared that I do Dionysian work and Terry does Apollonanian work. How well do you know your Greek gods? You, my dear, are Dionysian ergo, it is difficult to work in a logical/analytical way. Or as my granddaughter say, you are probably drinking too much wine.

Karoda said...

or maybe not enough wine? hehehe
Rayna, I know my nickle's worth isn't going to help but I do like both backgrounds...different times of day on the same scene. Also, I wrote a little about value today so I can't help but feel I'm in good company :)

Linda Dunn said...

Mark Bittman makes me think I can cook. I'm on my second edition of How to Cook Everything (mine fell apart too, the first week I used it, but the book was too exciting to return.)

Your art looks great. Go with your gut.

Eva said...

This townscape is so impressing! Although I'm not a lover of greys at all, I think the first one is the solution because the second one seems too somber and depressive. I prefer the light to come through here and there.
Very impressing!

Libby Fife said...

Being analytical with anything I make bunches me up! Keep listening for the little voice. It will tell you what to do.

Judy said...

well, it certainly was a treat to read your blog this morning! I'll have to look at that recipe, as we both adore Tahini AND Mark Bitman! The fabrics you are piecing are phenomenal! I'd have to say that I like the first one (lighter background) better, but both are great. We woke up to a rainy morning, and the sky looked very similar to that top piece of grey. Like someone, either Karoda or Eva, said, the second is just a different, later, time in the day.

xo

elle said...

Ah, I have that book and give it as a gift often. I like your first piece very much. You go with logic and then you tweak it until the logic is lost! 8^)

Unknown said...

The second background makes the quilt look like a dark, moody night in the city... I love it.

Emmie said...

I love both pieces. The only way I could choose would be to close my eyes and throw a dart.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...