Friday, October 01, 2010

something about nothing

Time was, I blogged every night whether I had anything interesting to say or not.  Then life got in the way and I not only had nothing interesting to talk about, half the time I didn't even have anything boring to say.

I'm trying to get over it and post more frequently, no matter what.  So YOU are going to have to suffer through the blabla inutile of the less fascinating posts, or use your delete button.

I love buildings that reflect other buildings. The picture above was taken in the historic district of San Jose.   I should say the alleged historic district because visual history seemed scarce except for a couple of signs and this building, which is looking for an occupant. Reminds me of something I might have seen in Boulder, CO when I lived there in 1970.


After the meetings were over, I had two treats in store for me -- and they overlapped.  My friend Mary from high school now lives in San Francisco and is a doctor who specializes in AIDS.  We have not seen each other in 53 years and it was remarkable that the years fell away and we had a wonderful reunion.
In this picture, an exuberant Mary has her arms draped around Frances and me. The lovely Frances is lucky enough to be married to the charming and talented man on my left.  He is my dear friend Ted who had just stepped off a plane and stopped to see me on his way home.  What a delicious visit all the way around -- although never enough time to  talk about STUFF when your friends live 3000 miles away.

I have been working at home all day and actually got something done! Tomorrow, studio to clean up for my workshop next week and get materials ready for the class. And maybe if I am really efficient, I can do something with the pieces in my bag that need to get finished.

We have open studios coming up on November 7 and I need to get busy!

12 comments:

Sujatha said...

Have missed your blogs, Rayna ...nothing you have to say can ever be boring!! You are right ..the years do seem to melt away ..I had the same feeling earlier this year when I met with school friends (in Delhi) after almost 30 years!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Glad to see you're back! I worried that you had been washed away in the recent storms! I haven't been in San Jose in years, and don't remember a thing about it, but I like the building in your second picture... and it's great you were able to meet with your friend! That's always a treat...

Judy said...

I too thoroughly enjoy buildings reflecting other buildings! So interesting!
Great picture of you with Mary, Frances and Ted! I thought your wording of the years just falling away was so very appropo.
We had a lovely dinner out last night, and I opted NOT to photograph it....just for you!
xo

Eva said...

I can only repeat what the others say: Your postings are never boring! But if the duty to post something each and every day becomes a burden, I can tell you that gaps will be forgiven, too.

Debra Dixon said...

Your reflected building photo is a quilt waiting to happen.

Ted Orland said...

What a nice picture -- I'm going to hand my camera to Japanese tourists to take ALL my photographs in the future!

laura said...

happy shining people! what joy to have time with dear friends.
welcome home from what sounded like an incredible trip.aren't you glad you did it?

jude said...

i love that top image

Unknown said...

Lovely to see a photo Ted in it. I'm positive he doesn't remember me but Roger and I used to run photograpahy workshops and he spoke at quite a few of them. Delightful!

Vivien Zepf said...

So glad you had time to visit your friends; the picture shows how happy you all are to be together.

And sorry, dear, to burst your bubble; nothing you say is ever boring.

Leah said...

the little old building is really cool. and i love the photo of the reflection - it is good inspiration for a quilt design!

Deb Hardman said...

Rayna, I always find you inspiring, no matter what the subject is that you might choose to chat about!

I love the architectutal photos. I took one in Seattle very much like the first one of the reflecting building-on-building. If I ever get some serious studio time, that's one of the series I would like to do a study on. Archtecture, & the other I have been collecting photos on is old trucks!

You surely meant 43, not 53 years!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...