Saturday, December 04, 2010

blocks and birds

NY Metro Modern Quilters is a group I joined earlier this year, when they were new. I got to two meetings and haven't been able to make any of the meetings since then, for various reasons. I am bummed because I love the enthusiasm, the young quilters who are having fun experimenting, and the break in my routine. They have already made a group quilt and this month, everybody was to bring a monochromatic block based on the color saffron or cheddar or whatever you want to call it.

Tonight, I sewed a block together and had a lovely time playing, but forgot about the monochromatic part.  So here is my therapy block that I am not sending because I need to make another one that IS monochromatic.
This is what happens when you are tired and don't pay attention. I think it may be the beginning of a quilt for Miss Emma, instead.

The wild turkeys are out in full force - although not as much force as those horrible black birds. A propos of this subject... I got an e-mail from Lynn Kunz suggesting that my fear of birds might be a good subject for some work.  Uh - no.  Actually, three years ago, when Jane Davila and Elin Waterston were writing a book, they invited me to participate in an exchange of blackbird blocks, some of which would go into the book.  My first instinct was to say NO.  But then I thought I should force myself to do it and express my feelings about birds. It didn't help, but here were the resulting little quilts.








It is after 1:am and I am too tired to write more, but when I am awake I will comment on Terry J-D's post about juried shows.  Interesting post. I should make a list of things I want to post about because by the time I get a round tuit, I've forgotten what I wanted to talk about.  'Nite.

4 comments:

Eva said...

The block is lovely! Yes, I guess Miss Emma will be happy and later look back on it as something that helped her build up an esthetic view, to say it pathetically. My experience is that it really matters what you see in an early phase.
About adversions: I don't believe in the confrontation theory. I rather think it makes the emotions worse. I protect my partner from what he abhorrs, and he protects me; the result is that both are becoming more courageous.

Vivika said...

Fear or no fear, I really like the bottom bird piece. But then again, I like birds and you don't! Happy Holidays!

Susan Ettl said...

I love your block!!! I am sure Ms Emma would love to have it in a quilt made by Grandma. Have a wonderful day dear friend.

wlstarn said...

Hmmm, I bet Dr. Freud would have had something to say about the bird pieces. Probably blaming your parents or some claptrap like that. Birds don't bother me, but I sure do hate mice and rats. No rodent pets were allowed for my kids! Must be all those years of watching the Nutcracker battle the Mouse King.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...