Monday, December 06, 2010

I was thinking...

as I walked out of Barnes & Noble this morning, that life is good.  I had just bought gift cards for my 4 grandsons for Chanukah (at the rate I'm going, it will be over before two of them get theirs -- maybe I can trade them in for Merry Christmas ones). 

Latkes.  Fortunately, Chanukah lasts for 8 days. We went to Hilary's tonight for a family celebration with her in-laws.  I made the latkes and while I was cooking, managed to eat a few of the broken pieces that escaped.  I do have one more potato at home, but I should probably bake it - LOL.  For Chanukah, the point is the oil -- it doesn't matter what you fry.  Many people (although I don't know any of them) make jelly donuts, which are supposedly traditional for the holiday - but not in MY family.  I'll stick with potato pancakes - or sweet potato/ginger pancakes...or zucchini pancakes.  All delicious and equally unhealthful.  But hey - it's only once a year.

Back to Barnes & Noble...While I was in the bookstore, I saw the "buy two, get one free" table and sauntered over.  "Hmm...," I thought, "that's what is missing from my life -- something good to read." I had no problem picking out the two I had to pay for, but it took me some time to find a third I wanted to read.  I have been reading/editing for months, but haven't read for pure escape. I came home with...(in no particular order)

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore ( a NYT best book of the year)
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (National Book Award winner)
and The Private Patient by P.D. James (Adam Dalgliesh - how can you go wrong?)

What have I been reading/editing? Jessica and her friend Meryl have written a book (in addition to their full-time jobs.)  Finally, it is at the printer and will be out January 20.   Published by Career Press, it already has good advance notices.  They have their own blog and are also posting career advice on the Forbes magazine website. I'm so excited and proud of her - and think I should take some of their advice when the book comes out and I can read it again. 
  
On another note - tonight I re-measured the quilt I had cut facing strips for and found a one inch difference from one end to the other.
Ick.  I HATE when that happens.  Then I realized I had not finished quilting it at the larger end: maybe that will help.  I guess that is tomorrow's job.  

Finally, my deepest and most heartfelt thanks to those of you who 
generously donated to Cycle for Survival to support Jessica's efforts. Your donations and mine (which is not posted because it went in the mail) have moved her toward the halfway mark of what she has pledged to contribute.  You have NO idea how grateful we are.

I have two scarves I was planning to keep but have decided to put them on my blog page and donate 50% of the proceeds to Cycle for Survival, in addition to what I have already given.  Click on Items for Sale at the top of my sidebar and you'll see them. Thanks and goodnight!


3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Rayna,

I would like to donate toward Jessica's efforts in Cycle for Survival. Can you post a link to her fundraising page?

Sherryl said...

I didn't make Latkes this year.. Ned was away for the start and I hate the cleanup of all the oil spattering... if you know a way to prevent that, I would like to know!
I just finished Steve Berry's new book on my ipad.. The Emperor's Tomb.This one was just OK. I liked all his others better. This one has a lot of history in it and less action. I guess I was in the mood for action.
Congrats to Jessica and Meryl.

Tina Rathbone said...

Rayna,
Let the Great World Spin is one of the best books ever. Enjoy it!
Hugs,
Tina in San Diego
blog: http://tina-rathbone.blogspot.com

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...