Saturday, March 24, 2012

Yesterday's mail

brought this into my mailbox because I have an article in the April/May issue. Coincidentally, this follows on the heels of our discussion about magazine content.

I have not subscribed to Quilting Arts since very early days because I saw a gradual change that did not appeal to me.  However, I have to say that based on Vivika deNegre's inaugural issue as Editor, I am seeing another gradual change -- for the better (and that is not because of my article - LOL).

I have just written to Vivika to let her know that I see a difference, and what I would like to see more of....and while I don't expect a sudden and drastic change, the difference is just enough to make me hopeful.

If you have seen the issue and think you see a positive difference, it would be good if you were to email Vivika and let her know what it is you like about the articles/profiles/content in this issue and what you'd like to see more of.  It is true that book and magazine publishers need feedback from us because we are (or are not but could be) their audience.

And honestly, my two books might never have been written if it had not been for my students, who took my classes and kept saying "you need to write a book about this!"  Bottom line: input and feedback are vital to keep things dynamic and interesting and to meet peoples' needs.  When my brother owned a restaurant, many years ago in another country, he was always stopping at people's tables and asking "how is everything?"  He really wanted to know because if something wasn't meeting his customers' needs and he could change it, he did. 

Off my soapbox.  Last night finally sewed on two facings and am almost finished stitching a third piece. They are all small pieces, but since they have been sitting around here forever, unfinished, I feel as though I am finally accomplishing something. I'll post these when I am ready.
Rayna

16 comments:

Gerrie said...

I kept finding my QA issues still in the plastic wrapping so I too, let my subscription lapse. I will be interested in seeing this issue. I thought the last issue on collaboration was pretty good, too.

Marianne said...

Je me réjouis de recevoir mon exemplaire dans 3 semaines alors je ferai par de mes commentaires à la rédactrice. bon dimanche

Cathy Bargar said...

You know, I hadn't thought about it till you mentioned it, but you're right, this issue does seem more interesting (translation: more of what is of interest to ME) than it has for the past few years. I still subscribe, but every issue recently I've been thinking that maybe I would let it lapse. I've wanted to continue to support it, since it fills an important niche in the world of quilters - I keep thinking "well, it has to appeal to people who are new to all this as well as to those who want to stretch out more, so I would really be a Bad Person to complain, but honestly! Who needs more _____?" (Not to bring up the innumerable pet portraits features again....or the increasing real estate devoted to "thread painting" which amazes and impresses me but doesn't really interest me - not that there's anything wrong with thread painting....)

And Rayna, your article looked great, as always!

Nina Marie said...

I was the ones that stopped getting QA too after a couple of years 'cause I didn't like the change in content. Under your recommendation I'll have to get this issue - and yes its cause your article is in it LOL!! Don't underestimate your value as an author - your fabulous!

Nienke said...

I totally agree, this issue is great. Maybe because of the appealing theme 'color', but I do hope that it will be continued.

Mia Bloom Designs said...

I read your inspiring article in QA today and will give that it a try. I agree with your regarding the content of QA. I was thinking of letting my subscription lapse but if this issue is any indication of future issues then I keep it awhile longer. I'll email Vivika and let her know that I enjoy this issue.

DiannaJessie said...

I look forward to buying this copy. I only recently discovered QA so have not much to compare with. I am sure I am going to enjoy this copy even more now. Thanks. Dianna

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Oh gee I quit a couple years back too. All the same artists it seems, and way too much paint dye stamp stamp and quick accidental abstract ... I loved the old issues for all the texture and hand stitching.
maaaaaaaybe I'll pick it up again.
~Monika

HollyM said...

I've pretty much always enjoyed the magazine although some issues less than others. Likely it's because i spend a lot of my time painting, stamping, dyeing etc on my fabric (I had an article in the last issue). But, I come from a traditional quilting background and also love hand work. I was really happy to see your article in there this issue and I will definitely take another look at the whole magazine and consider sending off a letter. It is nice to see some variety. I like that pictures have been added to the profile, but I have heard complaints about the fact that you have to go to the profile page to find an artist website.

Terry Grant said...

I love seeing what is happening with Quilting Arts. A couple of years ago I thought it was really going downhill into dreadful territory. Little by little over the past couple of years it has really strengthened its game. I have always rooted for the magazine. We all love Pokey and all the energy and heart she has put into the magazine and now Vivika seems to have a great point of view. Keeping fingers crossed and I also loved your article.

Lisa said...

Oh! I will have to find a copy.. haven't seen it locally yet!

Jo Vandermey said...

I did like the last issue of QA and your article. But I have to say I have enjoyed the other issues as well. Being an information junkie and new to art quilting in the past two years I have learned so much. Even if I do not think I want to do everything that others do I do like seeing it.
I have to agree that the artists repeat but I suppose that happens in ten years of publishing with the same editor.
What are some other art quilting publications out there?
And I am also curious what changes you think there is in the magazine?
I really enjoyed your article and your book is on my list to buy!

Cindy Cooksey said...

I'm another one with QArts magazines wrapped in plastic. I'll have to take a peek at the new issue, to see if it interests me enough to give it another try.

TheaMinPA said...

we discussed this issue at my 'art quilters' group just last week - one of the best issues in a loooooong time! great ideas, lots of inspiration - and easy to follow techniques. we will be using the article on 'Stitch Therapy' at our next meeting - we are all bringing our 'scraps' and sewing machines.
Thank you for an excellent, inspirational - and very well written!- article.

Karoda said...

I picked up this issue yesterday and have browsed it twice and noticed the difference...the articles felt more substantial and thoughtful. Once I sit down to read it with intent, I'll place my finger on the differences.

debby said...

I also loved this new issue. So much good stuff in it. I had also let my subscription lapse. My biggest beef was the quality of the photography. The photos looked like paintings instead of real pictures. You could see no detail work at all.

Thanks for the prod to email the editor. I thought about doing that but have not done it yet. Will go right now and send an email!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...