Friday, June 22, 2012

wrapping up another week

Goodness!  I got home at 1:am Tuesday morning after a 5 hour delay (Paducah & Chicago) because of high winds at O'Hare.  Before I left, I grabbed a photo of Helene's wall of Fat Eighths for sale and wished I could have taken its entire contents with me... 
 
 Because I had such a laid-back week, I was still relaxed during the two airport delays.The less said about Paducah's airport, the better - but at least you can fly in and out of there from Chicago.  O'Hare is a beautiful airport and if you are stranded, at least you have art to look at in the windows and on the ceiling.  These were just a couple of the paintings done by students that graced the windows as you walked from one area to another.

Look up and you could see the hanging things under the skylights. 
The best was the spectacular light show in the tunnel between terminals. I kept shooting as I walked on the moving sidewalk but couldn't get enough.  Here are a few that sweetened the trip.

Getting home early Tuesday morning shortened the week - fine with me.  Tuesday in the studio, continuing to work on the piece I had taken to Paducah to work on.  I'm at the Slow Design stage, which is where the real work happens.  I added some of the green fabrics I had dyed before I left and it is coming along - slowly, of course. Fortunately, I took pictures in Paducah so I can go back to a previous version if I decide to do that.
Last night was the first meeting of the North Jersey Modern Quilt Guild chapter and we were thrilled with the turnout, the energy, and the enthusiasm.  The place was packed and we can't wait till next month.  You can read about it here if you care to.

Meantime, I am glad we had a thunderstorm tonight to cool things off because my a/c is not working and it has been 99 degrees F here for the last two days.  They should have it functioning again by tomorrow morning. I hope so, because I will have a house full of family late afternoon into evening.

At this point, I have to decide whether to sit and read Michael Connelly's recent book, The Fifth Witness; continue knitting my sweater, or clean up the sewing room.  Any guesses?


6 comments:

Gerrie said...

I have photos of the light show in O'Hare's tunnel!! You read!

Cate Rose said...

I've read all of Michael Connelly. I highly recommend Daniel Silva's espionage series with his character Gabriel Allon. If you read them, begin with The Kill Artist. Gabriel is an art restorer/Israeli spy. Fascinating novels all built around actual events and all having to do with some aspect of Jewish/Israeli history. Have a great weekend! xo

HollyM said...

I know I'd be reading in those temps and after the trip. What a stunning airport!

Rayna said...

Thanks, Connie. Will check it out. Temps here have fallen and it is glorious outside.

Mostly Turquoise said...

Oh Rayna, those airport tunnel pics, so yummie! Glad to read you had a fantastic time at Helen's.
Mail will follow soon, warm regards, Regina

Snoodles said...

Hopped over here from Amy's Messy Challenge...LOL Love your photos of the light show - never visited there, but now it's on my list! I could sit and look at the wall of fabric for quite a while....

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...