Sunday, July 01, 2012

I don't do challenges

...but I am participating in the block challenge my co-leader has come up with. We are making a collaborative quilt to send to MODCON (Modern Quilt Guild Conference). and everybody in the North Jersey  MQG has an assignment. Of course, since we are the un-guild guild, these are voluntary. (Are assignments ever voluntary or is that an oxymoron??).

True to un-guild tradition (which we are establishing as we go along), the guidelines are few:
1) block can be either 5.5" x 10.5" or 10.5" x 10.5"
2) use 3 colors, one of which is your least favorite and one of which is white.
3) fabrics can be prints, hand-dyes, solids, hand-prints - whatever.  Except the white, which must be solid white.
That's it.

The blocks are due at the August meeting but I wanted to get mine out of the way, so I got to work sooner rather than later.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to make something "modern" and uncharacteristic, so I made some rectangular and square units in three colors and made a bunch of different layouts. I will spare you all the permutations, but here are a couple of them.

this one was too orderly and reminded me, for some odd reason, of argyle plaid.  Yes, I know that argyle is diamonds but that doesn't change anything. Since I dislike argyle, this was out.
This one didn't work. It wasn't balanced enough and even if it had been, it was boring.

 I actually liked this one and it was the best of the lot. There were many in between, which just goes to show how fraught with possibililties these two units can be.  But in the end, it wasn't "me" and after I sewed it together I decided to get out the old rotary cutter and slash away.  What a relief!!

Here's what I ended up with (minus the errant thread on the lower right:-)


I am much happier with this, especially knowing that it won't be repeated -- even if I were to try, which I won't. On the other hand, it has given me another idea...

5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I don't usually do challenges either, but like what you came up with... definitely a 'you' piece, other than the pink! I assume that's your least fave color in the piece...

Cate Rose said...

Oh, but they're fun now and then. I love what you ended up with although the colorway isn't my favorite. Your strips book is on the way from Amazon. And my most recent two strip pieces, to be revealed on July 15, are far better than the test pieces I posted a couple weeks ago. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration! xo

Rayna said...

Colorway not my fave, either - and yes, the pink is the color I dislike. Fortunately, I am giving this away:-).

HollyM said...

It's fun following your train of thoughts on the pieces. Funny, I could see the argyle resemblance. I do like the final piece!

Diane said...

Yup, not a pink person either. But, love how it all ended up!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...