Wednesday, December 19, 2012

what I have been doing

The list is too long and boring to put here, but last night I finally sat down and worked on my own stuff! I'm almost finished quilting this piece, which is the second in a series.

 
I love the backing fabric, too.  I rarely buy commercial fabric but I had to buy a bolt of this because I loved it and it was just perfect for this piece.
The first in this unplanned series was sold before I had even put a sleeve on it, so the buyer got to decide which way she wanted to hang it.  She chose this vertical orientation.
 Now I guess I'll have to make a third one -- but first, I have two baby quilts to finish and a host of other things I need to work on.  I am having a solo show in Chapel Hill in May and I have sold some of the pieces I was going to hang, so I need to get busy. Fortunately, Chanukah is over, the grandchildren have their gifts, and we had a delightful family gathering to celebrate on Sunday.  Here is Emma with Uncle Mike, about to dive into one of her gifts.
And here are some of the other family members, clearly enjoying themselves as we sang to the three Gillmans who had birthdays last week.
Enough of this idle chit-chat. It has been a long time since I have sat at the sewing machine and I feel as though I am playing hooky. But I am determined to be mindful, not to multi-task today, and to do some meditative stitching.


Wishing you all a happy holiday season and a good year ahead.

6 comments:

Gail Baar said...

Love this one! I love the green color on the edges-it goes so well with the rest of the colors.

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Hi Rayna... congrats on your sales and the joy you take in your family. Happy Holidays to you.

Dianne

sheila 77 said...

These are just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. They are both beautiful with those amazing colour and pattern combinations.

Mia Bloom Designs said...

Hi Rayna-I really enjoyed reading this post. So many thoughts/questions are running through my head. Congrats on the sale! I,too, am using interesting commerical fabrics for the backs of my pieces. How many pieces are you making for your series?
By the way, today I'm wearing the scarf I bought from you last year.
Happy Holiday!

Eva said...

What a lovely quilt. The green should bring spring into the room on every day of the year. And also the burgundy one looks very attractive. I find it so hard to keep up my sewing at this time of the year during these dark days; it might be easier with machine sewing and quilting. So great to see at least what others do.

Judith said...

This is a beautiful series. Both of the quilts are so inspiring. I love the colors.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...