Wednesday, February 27, 2013

more art

Yes, this is art.  It was juried into a statewide (NJ) exhibit of art students from middle school through high school.  The top pieces had an exhibit at the Montclair Art Museum and this dress, made completely of playing cards, caught my fancy.  The artist is a high school student with a sense of whimsey and talent.  The exhibit, in general, was terrific but this was my favorite because it made me smile.  And anything that makes me smile deserves a blog post.

The Montclair Art Museum has one of the nation's best collections of Native American art, both traditional and contemporary.  Jaune Quick-to-See Smith is one of my favorite American artists and if I could liberate this painting from the museum's wall, I would be in heaven. But it is in the permanent collection and I don't think they would like it.

There is, in the Native American gallery, an exhibit of contemporary art/craft. This photo doesn't do justice to the tiny seed beads that cover the sneakers -- but the work is amazing -- and fun.

On another subject -- United Airlines has cancelled my morning flight and has put me on an afternoon flight that will get me to Asilomar tomorrow night instead of in the early afternoon. NOT happy with this; chances are there were not enough people on the flight to SFO to make it profitable so they switched everybody to the only other flight out -- and I won't go into the other issues I have with this manouevre.  GRRRRR.

Well, the good news is that I don't have to get up at 4:am, so maybe I should get off the computer and see if I can stay up late tonight getting some creative work done.  sigh...



No comments:

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...