Wednesday, July 17, 2013

heat and dust

I returned to the hottest NJ summer in eons -- temps in the high 90's F and humidity in the same range.
There are all kinds of heat warnings for old people (over 65) to stay inside this week.  Hahahaha.  I am going into NY city this afternoon to the City Quilter Gallery to see the exhibit of Maya Chamovich's quilts and hear her gallery talk at 6:pm.  Afterwards, I am going to dinner with my cousin Rahla so we can catch up on family stuff -- so I'm looking forward to it, despite the heat.

They say you are not supposed to water your plants in the morning - that evening is better.  But it is so awful that I am doing both.  My postage-stamp garden looked so much better a couple of hours after I soaked it, that I had to take pictures.  Before I left for Oregon I sprayed the daylily plants with anti-deer stuff and it worked!  I didn't expect that these late-bloomers would wait for my return, but they did.  The daylilies and echinacea look splendid to me.



Also, before I left I brought all the herbs upstairs to the master bath, which has a skylight. They did very nicely and now I am bringing them out again.  Such lovely basil!  I am drinking water with ice, lime, and crushed basil and it is divine.  Better with gin, but since it is so hot I am drinking water to stay hydrated.  Aren't I good??
More later or tomorrow, depending on how tired I am when I get home from walking several miles of city blocks later on.

5 comments:

Bonnie Miller said...

Oh dear...65 is old? Maybe that needs to be revisited! Enjoy your city wak.

Gerrie said...

It may be small, but your garden is loverly!1 Hope you had a good day in the city. Saw a couple of people today who took your workshop in Sisters!!

Judy Rys said...

I just returned from MA where I experienced the heat and humidity firsthand! Sounds like you had a great time in Sisters.

tiedyejudy said...

I always heard it's best to water in the morning to hydrate the plants before the heat of the day, but I was watering twice daily too during our heat spell in June. I say let the plants tell us... when they start to look droopy, I don't care what time of the day, they get a drink from me! Hope the heat goes away there soon...

patty a. said...

I have now gotten caught up on your recent posts - the printing was wonderful! I am going to have to make myself time to try that technique! The trip to Sisters look like a good time! In NE Ohio we had some sort of rain for 16 days in a row so watering wasn't necessary esp. Wed. the 10 when we got 5" in 2 - 3 hours! Your garden is very pretty!