Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The week that flew!

Goodness - I am leaving for home tomorrow (Thursday) and it feels as if I just arrived.  This has been a wonderful "retreat" week for me -- sewing in Helene's studio (below, some of the strips I brought with me, temporarily sorted<g>.  

I was not planning to buy any more fabric (I have a ton of Helene's bits and yards) but it was impossible to be here and not go home with a few (few???) yards.  I really NEED that orange and lime green and since this photo was taken, the pile has gotten bigger.  I suspect that tomorrow morning I will grab another couple of yards. Oh, my goodness.  I will never use it all.  But oh, well.

Monday night was the monthly meeting of the Paducah Fiber Artists and I was happy to see such old friends as Cathy Neri, Rosemary Claus-Gray, Rose Hughes, and other artists I had met when I was here a couple of times previously.  Caryl Bryer-Fallert was not here this week, but she comes back and forth and will probably continue to do so till her building is sold and she can be in Port Townsend, WA full time.  Anyway, show and tell at the meeting was interesting, as always, and here is a (bad) picture of Rosemary with one of her sheers.  She was showing the hanging device she had found that just works perfectly to display her pieces.  It was great to see her.  I first met Rosemary when we were both juried into a show at the Whistler Museum in Lowell, MA.  DOn't want to think about how long ago!

Helene and Bob's gallery space and shop is beyond gorgeous (eye candy abounds) and I was especially taken with this group of work on one of the walls.  I have my eye on one.

Every day this week I have been cutting and sewing strips and arranging/rearranging them on the wall. Right now I am pretty happy with the arrangement but we shall see how I feel when I get home and look at them in my own space.  They have a long way to go.  I brought the pink strips with me, but have put them aside to start something else.

So, off to pack all my stuff (or stuff my stuff) in my already stuffed (did I use this word enough??) suitcases.

I am going home inspired and encouraged and totally relaxed, which was the purpose of this interlude.
Ahhh...

9 comments:

Marsha Cochrane said...

Love Helene's fabrics, who could resist those? Her art is fabulous too. Looks like you had a wonderful creative time in Paducah, I'm completely envious! Interestingly i have the same hangers as Rosemary!s, I got them locally at Ren Thousand Villages. There are a couple of art quilts I'm working on that will look great hanging from them.Love Helene's gorgeous fabrics, who could resist those? Her art pieces are fabulous too. Looks like you had a wonderful creative time in Paducah, I'm completely envious! Interestingly i have the same hangers as Rosemary, I bought them at Ten Thousand Villages and will be using them for art quilts.

Marsha Cochrane said...

Sorry for the doubled comments... My thick fingers on these little wee letters are apparently not working too well tonight! Lol

Julie said...

I'm glad your week has been just what the doctor ordered! :) What's not to like about spending time with friends and playing with gorgoeus fabrics! Rosemary's sheer piece looks beautiful and I love the hangar she has found. I will have to try and find something similar in the UK for my sheer hanging. I've enjoyed working with sheers myself but they can be a beggar to control! Have a safe journey home.

Unknown said...

I loooove reading your blog...it makes me feel so happy and a lot of your sentiments resonate. Like stuffing stuff into an already stuffed suitcase...that will be me in April when we come for a trip to America that has been more than a year in the making. The quilt museum there was the catalyst and it has grown from there. Exciting! Thanks so much for your posts...and keep them coming...

Rosemary Claus-Gray said...

It was a delight to see you again, at the meeting. It's interesting to see that others have discovered the textile hangers at Ten Thousand Villages, a fair trade organization. I saw it used by Mirka Knaster, on her web site, and after writing to her to find the source for them I've found them perfect for some of my sheer work. Hanging sheer art has challenges, and this device not only is in keeping with the Asian influence in my work, but it allows the piece to be presented beautifully. Safe travels, Rayna.

Linda Hicks said...

Love those colors and blocks. Glad you had that retreat!

patty a. said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Paducah. I have never been there. What is up with that?! Closing at 3 pm on a Saturday is just crazy. I will certainly remember that!

Martha Ginn said...

Hi, Rayna,
Loved reading about your Paducah trip, also the pic of Rosemary's beautiful sheer piece. You were in great company in that great town! I'm still enjoying therapy sewing and improv quiltmaking. Have an exciting and fulfillng 2014.
Martha Ginn

Claire said...

Rayna--

I just got an email from you but it disappeared into thin air. Please resend it. Thanks.

Claire Christiansen

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...