Monday, April 07, 2014

selfies


Yesterday (Sunday) I was honored to have been invited by Rachel Ray, author of this gorgeous book, Quilting with a Modern Slant, to be part of a panel at the Art Quilt Gallery in NY, talking a little bit about my work, my process, and to show some of my pieces.  I was so happy to meet Rachel after all the back-and-forth on phone and email over the last couple of years, while the book was being written and designed.   

I have to tell you how wonderful this book is -- and I get nothing but pleasure out of recommending it because I believe it is the most important book on contemporary quilting to come along.  The great thing about this book is that it is inclusive; showcasing a variety of quilts and quilt makers who might not call themselves "modern" quilters but have an aesthetic that has influenced the modern movement.  There are not only gorgeous pictures of quilts, but interviews with the makers, tutorials, and even a few patterns.

Also in the book and on the panel, my friend Victoria Findlay Wolfe, who has become a dynamic force in today's quilt world.  She would not call herself a modern quilter, either -- but like me, she works inprovisationally. Here is the selfie of us. LOL
 The gallery was packed, including two people who had come all the way from Philadelphia for the program, and a visitor from Brisbane on holiday.  City Quilter did a brisk business in books and fabrics and we had a great time meeting people who had come to see us. 

Because it was a Sunday, I drove into the city and - hooray - parked for free on the street.
All in all, a good day.  This morning, I am off to see my dentist, which is always a pleasure.  Really!  Then, supermarket and home to start my Passover cooking for next Monday night.  Let's see...eggs, onions, potatoes...

1 comment:

MariQuilts said...

I really enjoyed this books as well.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...