Wednesday, April 27, 2016

a week in the studio

Well, most days.   The rest of the time I have been packing and getting ready to leave for the Virginia Consortium of Quilters Celebration...Thursday morning and will be home on Monday.  Should be fun!

I've been experimenting (as usual) and playing with some ideas; some have worked, others have not.  But that's how you learn - right?

In the meantime, I found some old photos of quilts I made back in 1997-99 (ha - can I say the last century??)  I no longer have this quilt - have no idea what happened to it.  I have one strip of blocks left..


I scanned in the other photos; it's interesting to see pieces I no longer have and can't find.  This baby quilt went to somebody, but I have no idea who.  Made from my grandmother's scraps.  I think I really didn't understand the value of them.  Wish i had this now.
I was always challenging myself to make ONE block in a few different combinations.  All scraps.  I wonder if I took these apart and still have the blocks.  Shall have to look.

Another baby quilt 1997.  Was I crazy??  Actually, by a couple of years later, I had ditched traditional patterns altogether.  Hmmm...second from right in middle row looks suspiciously like left bottom row above.


Finally, where is THIS one?  I love it! trompe l'oeil.  Same era - mid-to-late '90's.  That wonderful yellow fabric is from Usha - Handloom Batik.  And I see a piece of Kaffe's early stripes.  Oh, my.  Even then, I have to admit I like my color choices.


Enough memory lane stuff.  I opened a trunk and it turned out to be a Pandora's Box full of vintage antique blocks I had forgotten about.  Oh, no!

Time to sleep - have to be up super-early tomorrow to get to the airport.

6 comments:

Jo Vandermey said...

Wonderful to see the journey of an artist. My early quilts were all VIP cottons.... All went as gifts.

Karoda said...

Sometimes I think I am not well grounded as a sewist because I did not spend ample time making traditional blocks.

Enjoy your time at the celebration.

Karoda said...

Sometimes I think I am not well grounded as a sewist because I did not spend ample time making traditional blocks.

Enjoy your time at the celebration.

Linda Hicks said...

I enjoy your trips down memory lane!!

Charlotta said...

It is fun to look through old stuff, isn't it? Thanks to my first quilt teacher, I have pictures of all the quilts I've made, in a book with indications of who they were given to. I don't look at them often, but I'm glad I have them because I know I wouldn't remember the journey without them. That's exactly what she said wld happen, though at the time I never would've dreamed that after 20+ years I would be this deep into it having made at least 160 quilts and given away the vast majority.

Eva said...

The last one is brilliant, indeed. But you are so harsh about your early work -- did anybody know then what a liberating path you have taken? Did you know what is possible?

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...