Sunday, March 22, 2009

weekend warrior

Yesterday was a clean-up and start-throwing-stuff-into suitcase day; a task that continues today, after having spent the a.m. paying bills. At the end of the day yesterday Marty and I went over to the art exhibit I had judged so I could give out the awards. While we hung around, I finally had a chance to look at the exhibit of pieces from local school children and I found them absolutely magical! Honestly, if they had been for sale, I would have given them awards and purchased these three. The first two were done by first graders and I assume they are self-portraits. I think we have a lot to learn from these kids, whose work is delightful, whimsical, and hasn't had the joy replaced by rules. Don't you just love these?This is also by a first-grader -- can you believe it?? I don't know what the assignment was but it doesn't matter. Should I say that these children's art were more exciting than anything in the adult show? No, I should not. But I just did. Backtracking again to Thursday in the studio when Blogger wouldn't let me post pix. I have nothing as interesting on my wall as these 3 pieces above, but I did get something accomplished. BTW - this is how it typically looks rather than what you saw in the photos that were in the Cloth Paper Scissors last studio issue. At any rate, I took a lot of the fabrics off of my design wall and worked instead on paper. Here are two pieces I did on Thursday. This one started as a demo piece of soy wax on paper with paint and I finished it Thurs. What now? And this was the newspaper sheet I used under the above picture, which got full of black paint. Then I decided it was - or could be - something or part of something. Who knows? Blogger is very s-l-o-w today and I have to finish packing, so I'll leave it here. Tomorrow morning, the joy of stopover flying and connecting flights. I am delighted to be going to Springfield, MO., home of Ozark Piecemakers, the Uncommon Threads art quilt group, and Cashew Chicken (which I will NOT be eating). Tune in tomorrow for the next installment.

3 comments:

Sue Erdreich said...

Having a first grader myself, I can fully relate to the joy of their artwork. I am constantly delighted by what she creates.

P.S. I was at City Quilter this past weekend, and they have your book highlighted in a display in the front of the shop!

Eva said...

These kids' art is amazing! Especially No 3, to me. She is a readymade artist! I also love the newspaper thing. Ever so elegant, like a japanese brush stroke painting. And the irregular edges: Excellent!

margaret said...

Those kids' portraits are so delightful. So much more "real" than the dreary, introspective, careful things that adults labour over.

buried in fabric

Not literally, of course.  But overwhelmed.  Boxes and drawers and bins!  I brought two shopping bags of fabric to my Modern Quilt Guild ...