Wednesday, February 16, 2011

from the sublime to the ridiculous

I am really too tired to blog but I finally have something worth blogging about.

I had pre-ordered this book from Amazon and it shipped early!
Grabbed it yesterday as I was leaving for the doctor's office and while I was waiting I got through the Chocolate chapter. I told Gerrie that I had to buy a couple of dark chocolate covered chocolate Haagen Dazs bars after I read that chapter.

The book is beautiful, makes interesting reading, and is rich both visually and in the artists' stories about their pieces. It is a MUST-READ. Sublime.

I expected to pick it up again today but alas, the carpet guys arrived and I had other things to do.  Done now.  The room was totally empty and I've just put back a couple of things because the painter is next.  I hope he comes soon because the amount of STUFF in the living room and kitchen is beyond comprehension.  How did I accumulate so much in the last 15 years? (ha ha).  This little room - 12 x 14 - had all this stuff (and more, off camera) squeezed into nooks and crannies in this small space.  Here is some of it, spread out in the great room.  There is more, plus every horizontal surface in my kitchen is covered!

At the moment, I am sitting in the chair on the right of the picture below.  The art has to come down for the painter. 

The blue-covered table is where my cabinets and the sewing machine were.  Gone. Out to the garbage.  Inefficient storage cabinets with stuff jammed into them that I never used.  OUT!


So here is what the room looks like now, picture taken from the chair looking out. That big black spot is duct tape, which helped the design wall stay in place. My friend Rachel told me I had better frame this picture because the room will never look like this again.
I am going to replace the furniture, get some decent storage: IKEA? Any good suggestions? And a table for the sewing machine, maybe.  Right now, I am enjoying the emptiness.  I have been in the kitchen all evening filling trash bags and am going to bed.  More tomorrow.  Maybe.

12 comments:

Eva said...

Makes me think of our living room due to be painted. Sigh. Big sigh.
You are my hero.

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Thanks Rayna! We are so excited to be able to share the Twelve by Twelve project in the form of a book.

By the way, our publisher is holding a giveaway over on the Lark Crafts blog with some fun interviews with the Twelves.

Gerrie said...

Oh, Rayna, my love!! thank you so much for this glowing review.

Hope the house stuff is over, soon.

Terry Grant said...

Ditto what Brenda and Gerrie said!

The view of your living room makes me tired! I hate when I have to pull stuff out and see what I actually live with. Always depresses me. I'd love to travel through life with just what would fit in the back of my car. Never going to happen.

Françoise said...

Thank you Rayna for the nice review! :-)
I would like to have our living room repainted this spring, but when I see these pictures, I'm not so sure anymore...

Marianne said...

chez IKEA ils ont une table électrique fantastique pour le dos, elle se lève à la bonne hauteur quand on travaille debout et ne coute pas cher, elle se trouve dans le secteur bureau. Pour les tissus plusieurs possibilités chez IKEA dont meuble de cuisine indépendant, personnellement j'ai pris deux meubles télés tout simples que j'ai superposé et mis des caisses en plastique transparentes de chez eux, cela fonctionne bien pour moi mais !!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Go see Melody here: http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2011/02/it-never-ends.html. She is forever going to Ikea and coming home to organize her stash! Of course she has a giant studio, but you can get some great ideas from what she has done! Hang in there...

badmomgoodmom said...

My husband hung 39" tall kitchen cabinets along one wall of my sewing room. They swallowed up so much stuff.
http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2007/06/stuff-sewing-and-5s-seiri-seiton-seiso.html

I'd like to add some kitchen cabinets along another wall so that I have counterspace to work, too. Another year.

Lisa K said...

Isn't it a great feeling to THROW STUFF OUT?

Can't wait to see photos of your new studio. I'm in studio envy!

Karen said...

I'm exhausted reading this! I'm sure it will be great when it's done. Thanks for the mention of our book, we are all really excited about it.

jane dávila said...

IKEA definitely. Reasonably priced and clean lines. When we sold our last house (just a couple of months ago) the new owners bought most of my studio furniture as well so the new studio was a literal blank slate. I've gotten Billy shelves from IKEA for fabric and book storage and will be adding doors to them shortly. I'm thinking of getting glass doors and lining the inside faces with fabric for interest.

One big kitchen cabinet/island is the perfect cutting/storage unit and I hung a lot of wall mounted shelves above the cutting table and big L shaped desk (which we're in the process of building ourselves since nothing was big enough to fit that I could buy). I'll let you know when I post pics. Btw, I can assemble a Billy in under 10 minutes now, so holler if you need a hand, lol.

Kristin L said...

Thank you for the lovely review. I hope that if the chocolate chapter sent you out for candy the water chapter doesn't send you to the loo!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...