Tuesday, April 22, 2014

the Pilgrim & Roy Exhibit at Boston MFA

Worth the trip if you're within driving distance.  Yes, they allowed photos (sans flash) so I took a ton.

Here are a few of my faves, although the photos don't begin to do them justice. The beauty of this exhibit was partly that the walls behind the quilts were painted to enhance them, and there were contemporary pieces of art that related to some of the quilts.  There is nothing new under the sun.



 Here is a detail of this remarkable quilt.



Came home inspired but have been busy all week with the dreaded apartment clean-out (supposed to have been done today) and trying to fix a closing date with the buyer's attorney who seems to have been abducted by aliens.  

Tomorrow, the retinologist and then - yes, I am going to my studio. Dinner out with friends and a chance to catch up on our lives since we last saw each other.  If all goes well for the rest of this week, I might even be in the studio for more than one afternoon.  Stay tuned.


5 comments:

Linda Hicks said...

Good to see your Roy Collection favorites.I was surprised how much my husband enjoyed a quilt show.
I did my first cut and sew strips sewing yesterday. Fun! One is tempted to keep going and going. For the first time I could imagine making a bigger quilt. No stress.

patty a. said...

These quilts are wonderful. Thanks you for posting pictures for us readers who can't get to the exhibit.

Sue Erdreich said...

I just bought a book of the quilts when I was at the National Gallery in D.C.. Some wonderful and inspiring quilts.
http://www.amazon.com/Quilts-Color-The-Pilgrim-Collection/dp/0878468242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398268193&sr=8-1&keywords=pilgrim+and+roy

Unknown said...

It's an amazing exhibit and it has inspired me to make a 1000 Pyramid quilt using older fabrics given to me by a friend.

Diane in NH said...

My friend and I went to the show. The quilt displays were wonderful. Loved the colors they used on the walls to go with the quilts. And showing some of them in a darkened room with only the quilt highlighted was excellent!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...