Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday stuff

I mentioned that when I went to my MQG meeting on Thursday night, I took an almost-done quilt that needed to have stitches picked out so I could redo and add some more stitches.

Well, yesterday I discovered several red spots on the white fabric that appeared to be magic marker spots.  Can't imagine! I don't have any magic markers and it wasn't near any that I know of, but I  couldn't get them out, so I had to completely replace that section of the quilt.  Fortunately, it was the last 6-8" that needed to be redone, anyway. But what a waste of time!  Replaced fabric, batting, and backing of that section and hope to put the stitches back in tomorrow.

Maybe I can use my new needles and threads: basic black, white, and gray.  I can't believe I was out of white thread; it is a color I rarely use.

On the plus side, the other quilt I had given to Diane Fama to quilt, also looks great.  She did what I would never have thought to do.  Here is one smidgen at the edge of the piece.  She deliberately made the stitching wonky, like my work:-)).  Love it!
I have more quilts than I care to think about, sitting here in various stages - I have to put facings on the two I got back and there is one more small one that needs to be faced.  Then there is one I made a year ago that has still not been quilted.  I am going to do it myself.  Have my work cut out for me.

In the meantime, I have been cooking. Grocery shopping at Whole Foods is always an adventure.  I bought ribs to throw on the grill and then saw they had gulf shrimp, so I had to buy some for tonight's dinner.  Ribs tomorrow night.  It is in the 90's here and grilling on the deck is de rigeur.  I actually sauteed the shrimp in a pan on the grill. Not putting on the oven!

I have stopped buying that iodine-laced frozen shrimp from Thailand or wherever and will buy only gulf shrimp when they are available.  They are expensive but I would rather have them rarely and let them be a treat.   I was reminded that they tasted like shrimp used to taste when I was growing up.  I could never understand why my mother loved shrimp so much; to me, as an adult, they had no taste.  Now I know why she loved them - because these taste like the shrimp we used to get in the 1950's from the fish store.  

Tonight's dinner was sauteed shrimp with garlic and saffron. Took no time and was fabulous.  Served it with grilled corn and grilled asparagus. 
Dessert was freshly churned lemon ice cream.  In case you decide to make it, know that you can use only 2 or 3 egg yolks and it will be wonderful. 

Enough about food - back to the sewing machine...

4 comments:

Linda Hicks said...

I always learn reading your blog...and hunger

Unknown said...

Love the quilt

Anonymous said...

I read your post in the middle of preparing dinner last night - gulf shrimp from Whole Foods! They were quite good (grilled and marinated in lime juice, ginger, soy and sesame oil), a perfect meal for our hot New England weather. Love the peak of your quilt. That taupe (?) is a perfect foil for those brights. I enjoy your work very much - keep cool!

salvage chica said...

OMG!! Rayna, is that why I hate shrimp? That funny taste is iodine! Hmmmm things my mother never told me!
Adore that quilt!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...