Friday, September 30, 2005

footloose in Paris

I'm not a shoe person. Really. I live in my Birkenstocks, summer and winter. But I couldn't resist these fabulous Arche shoes when I was in London. A perfect expression of my mood for those two weeks! My friend Marlene has several wonderful pairs and her local shoe boutique was having a huge sale and these were the only ones left in my size. Could I leave them there? We spent 5 days in Paris and the rest of the time in London. In Paris, I dragged my cousins to the marché aux puces, where they had not been in years. My cousin Edmond kept trying to drag me over to the good antique stalls but I insisted on checking out the junk. Much more interesting than Sevres china, dontcha think?

I was looking for tjaps and other stuff to print and batik with and I found some wonderful Indonesian wood printing blocks, several random metal items, and a piece of orange construction fence with a pattern different from what I have. Edmond liberated a piece of it for me with his Swiss army knife. My cousin France enjoyed herself immensely at her husband's antics. He, of course, thought I was nuts. Thanks, Edmond. As we left the flea market, I was stunned by the beautiful artwork on walls everywhere. This is only one example. One day Marty and I went to the Pompidou - my favorite museum in Paris. While we were waiting for it to open, we walked over to the fountain nearby - a wonderful, whimsical corner of the world, adjacent to an ancient church. Here are a couple of views from the top of the Centre Pompidou. Even blindfolded, you wouldln't mistake it for any other city in the world. (Well,you know what I mean).

The five days in Paris were an interlude. We took the Eurostar back to London and stayed with our friends David & Marlene till yesterday (Thurs). I am still on UK time...so I am going to retire early. Tomorow we'll go back and do London.

6 comments:

Deb R said...

Great shoes! And great travel photos!

Debra said...

Fabulous shoes!! Had to check them out online. Hope they are better priced in London... $285 for a pair from Zappos!!!

Love the pictures from Paris (especially since I just found out I might... small might... be there next year. Better chance I'll be in London and Rotterdam.... I may have to seek out those shoes while I'm there).

Rayna said...

Debra, nothing is better priced in London. Argh. Zappo's is the best bet for Arche, although these were a HUGE bargain in the shoe store at £49 (which I translate as about $90, although I'll only know when the bill comes). I could not find Arche in Paris, but really didn't have time to shop much. I ordered a different pair of sandals on Zappo's (picture later) which were here when I got home. You can do fine on Zappo's if you have no preconceived ideas and they have your size in a bargain shoe. They run small, so order a size up.

Liz said...

I love the Pompidou centre and that whimsical area outside it! Thanks for posting photos!

PaMdora said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! I wish I could join you at the junk shop.

Debra Spincic said...

Love that picture of the bottomhalf of the mannequin in bikini undies!!

I've moved my blog

Follow me over to     https://rgillman.wixsite.com/studio78/blog  , subscribe to get the updated posts, and please leave me a comment (a...