Thursday, December 12, 2013

Remember when you were a kid and you had a snow day? Remember how you felt?!  That's how I felt on Tuesday of this past week, as I watched the big, wet flakes come down like crazy.  Ahhh….vacation. I was planning to spend my snow day sewing but instead, I spent it organizing files and making big pots of soup, which I have been eating all week. Pea soup, bean soup, chicken soup. Comfort food.  Tomorrow, lentil soup. I can't get enough of soup.

Don't ask me where the last two weeks have gone since Thanksgiving, because I can't tell you. Twice I was at my mother's apartment supervising moving men while my kids took what she had promised to them. There is still more to do there.

Last week I spent multiple days cleaning out the closet I have not been ready to deal with until now.  Even after 2-½ years it was difficult -- but I donated 7 bags of clothes and shoes, and there are still many beautiful, expensive suits and sport jackets on hangers (wooden ones - remember those?) that I am going to take to Goodwill so they stay local.  They don't pick up clothing:-(.  I haven't been able to part with some of the sweaters; they are huge on me, but I take comfort in wearing them.  I am glad this is mostly behind me.

For the last at least six months I have been too busy, too exhausted, or just plain not in the mood to do anything creative.  But last night, I finally sat down to sew some therapy strips.  And for the first time in eons I worked till midnight.

What do I have to show for it?  Uh - not a whole lot. Where is it going? Who knows and who cares?  I am sewing.  

10 comments:

Julie said...

I'm pleased for you Rayna that you are nearly through sorting your Mum's things and can take comfort from her snuggly sweaters. It takes time and energy to get to this point and you're doing well. And Sewing! Yay!

Linda Swanekamp said...

So good to see you sewing! Your work is awesome. I am glad you were able to persevere through all the sorting.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

It's hard to be creative when you are overwhelmed, exhausted or just not in the mood. I'm with you on the soup thing... this time of year, I really do love tasty, hearty home made soups! Glad you are working your way through the cleaning out of closets... it's hard, but I like that you are able to keep the clothing local. Enjoy the respite from travel for awhile longer!

Linda Hicks said...

Loved seeing your snow and thinking about the soup. I, myself, just just found time to return
to sewing and painting and it makes all the difference!

Cate Rose said...

Glad to hear you're working your way through all that old stuff. Downsizing is its own creative activity. I can't seem to get enough soup now, either. Besides being comfort food, it means not having to mess with meal prep for days to come. Hope you have lovely, peaceful holidays. Much love.

Unknown said...

Who cares indeed...just sitting with the faithful hum of the machine is therapy. Good on you. And just by the way...I can't wait to see where those strips will eventually turn up!

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

This is my second attempt to post. The first said remember the Supreme's and know that "You can't hurry Love". So take you time and you will find your way back to your groove.

Lisa said...

you've got more snow than us up here! sounds like job to had a tough to do so I hope you take time to play too!

Anonymous said...

Those strips are so joyful. Glad to see that you're taking time for you!
Diane

Unknown said...

If you are interested in keeping a few of the nice articles of clothing, perhaps you should consider creating a quilt. I know that it is not your usual style of creating (with clothing scraps) but Sherri Lynn Wood and Erin Wilson (http://www.erinwilsonquilts.com/work/2010/04/fisher-quilt/) both have beautiful examples of how grief quilts can turn out. Wood actually does this quite often.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...