Wednesday, February 08, 2012

mud

Those are the fabrics that just don't work as whole pieces -- or even half pieces.  Bleh colors and printed stuff you don't have time or energy to overprint -- or have overprinted so many times that they are - yep - mud. 

There's only one solution: slice thinly and try to hide them by combining them with other fabrics, hoping nobody will notice how awful they are.  In fact, when they are cut really thinly, they are not awful at all: amazingly, they often become little gems. 

You know those packages of fabrics that have been cut into strips 2.5" w x 40" (or so) long? Some call them "jelly rolls" (why??), others like Timeless Treasures, call them "treats." (better name, IMO). Irrespective of what you call them, the 2.5" strip makes a lot of sense.  It can be any length (mine vary between around 10"-20" (give or take) and the width slices nicely into two or three strips.

Yesterday I posted this picture on my Facebook page. I had cut a bunch of "ick" fabrics into strips, laid them on the table and photographed them.  The arrangement was completely random but when i saw the photo, I knew they looked great together. (these do not include the swatches above)
The fabrics work together because the colors repeat elsewhere,so that despite the varied patterns there is some unity. The black and white version showed me that there is sufficient value contrast. 
Now I have to decide where I am going to use it -- a task that will remain on hold for a while.

In the meantime, on another subject - I forgot to mention in yesterday's post about Lonni Sue Johnson's art exhibit, that the last thing in the exhibit was an interactive exercise for visitors.  These pieces of paper were on the table near the exhit, with a bulletin board overhead, on which there were tons of wonderful drawings done by people who had come to the exhibit.  I gave these to my grandchildren to complete and the results were delightful.  I offer you the same opportunity: print this out, enlarge and complete it, and scan it back in or take a photo and send it to me. I'll post your creative output.





5 comments:

Gerrie said...

I was fascinated with the Lonni story. I downloaded the pages will try to do something later and send them back.

Lisa K said...

I love your 2" strips - they do look great together! I'm in the same boat - I have so many sample pieces I created for and in workshops. They are not big enough or require too much work to make into art on their own. I may have to start quilting again to use them up!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the sample drawings! It reminded me that when I was 10, I was a contestant on a kid's show to make something out of a 'squiggle' made by the host. I ended up winning the weekly contest, and got a trampoline along with lots of other nice gifts for my win...

Vivien Zepf said...

Love the strips. They look wonderful together, they really do. And the "make a drawing from a squiggle" is one of our favorite waiting games, especially at restaurants with paper table cloths.

Vivian Helena said...

Love the strips and Karen's challenge, still working on it.Rayna can you email me, there is something I want to send you, and for some reason the "contact me" on the web site and other wise is not working.
vivianhelena@sti.net

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...