Thursday, August 18, 2016

a random day


Another day when I was going to get work done and instead, went from one random task to another - none related to sewing. Oh, dear.

It's not that I didn't accomplish anything:
  1) I spent the morning paying bills and moving papers around. 

2)  Called Belkin, to let them know that half the keys on their wonderful iPad Air 2 keyboard stopped working. I sent pictures, documentation, credit card bill, blah blah blah.  And I sent them the keyboard and they will send me a new one, since it is still under warrranty.

Of course, I leave on Saturday to teach at Hudson River Valley Workshops and will be gone for more than a week, so the keyboard will arrive while I am gone.. Fortunately, I have an old Zagg keyboard that only has one key missing (@2) but it works, even without the piece on top. 

3) I asked my housekeeper please not to vacuum my sewing room, since all the little bits of fabric clogged the hose of my central vacuum system. She can't stand not cleaning in here, so she has agreed to use the carpet sweeper instead. Victory! 

I just replaced the system to the tune of more than you want to know.  They built all these condos with central vacs, which are wonderful until they die of old age, as mine just did.  This new one will outlast me, I am sorry to say.

4) Went to the nail salon to have the deadly crack in my thumbnail patched.  I have never had nails until now (all those years of hands in soda ash and dyes). And now that I do have them, they need TLC. 

5)  Made a supermarket stop to buy mussels and yellow &red hot peppers so I could make this dish, which my housekeeper told me is delicious and sent me the recipe. I already had corn and cilantro and lime and onions and tomatoes, so I was almost there.

 Our local Peruvian restaurant, which I just discovered, serves this as an appetizer and the recipe calls for 12 large mussels.  But I made it as my main course and have enough mussels left over for another round tomorrow night.  Serve cool: quick, easy, and  just right for this hot weather.

I varied the proportions a bit - less onion, more tomato, cilantro instead of parsley, and regular limes. And if you don't have yellow and red hot peppers, I am sure that jalapenos will do.

On this note, I leave you with the recipe and I am going to bed.
CHOROS A LA CHALACA / Mussels Peruvian Style      
 
   Ingredients :

12 mussels tightly closed
2 medium size onions, finely chopped
Juice of 3 key limes
1 tablespoon ají amarillo fresco / fresh yellow aji (chili), blended
½ rocoto / red hot pepper, rinsed, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
 1 ear of corn kernels, cooked
½ tomato, peeled, seeded and cut in small cubes
1 tablespoon oil
Salt
Pepper
1 key lime, cut in wedges to serve
   Preparation: 

Rinse mussels thoroughly and scrub under running water. Discard any mussels that are not tightly closed.

Sauté garlic in a bit of olive oil.  Add mussels and a little water or white wine and remove from pan as soon as they open, to prevent overcooking them. Discard mussels that do not open. Cool.

Open mussels with a knife and place half on a serving dish.

Combine in a medium size bowl, onion, red hot pepper, tomato, parsley, corn, ají, oil, key lime juice, salt and pepper. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes.

Place approximately 1 ½ tablespoon of this mixture over each mussel.

Serve with lime wedges.

3 – 4 servings as an appetizer

3 comments:

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Sounds like a busy and productive day to me. Someone has to tend to all the daily upkeep. The muscles look wonderful. Thanks for adding blogging to all that you did today.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Gads a Central Vac? Haven't heard of those in a long time. I still have a Hoover upright, which works... when I turn it on and move it around, which isn't as often as I should, but then I don't "should on my self" anymore! Hope you have a great class next week, and maybe the weather will be cooler there!

Cate Rose said...

I know about those random days -- seems more of mine are like that lately than not. Otherwise, all is well in my neck o' the woods.
Hope you have a wonderful class next week, and a great trip. xoxo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...