Thursday, July 14, 2005

heliotropic something-or-other

I forget the exact phrase, but it means when plants turn themselves around to face toward the sun. At the wonderful Mass MOCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) in North Adams, there is a display of trees which have been planted in pots hanging upside down. Wouldn't you know it? The trees, planted upside down, are curving around and growing up. My husband is fascinated with this - it is almost the only thing he remembers from our memorable day there a couple of years ago. "So why?", you might wonder, "is she talking about this non-art-related subject? "Because I planted all the flowers in my garden facing the street. And instead, they are all growing facing the driveway - so everything in my front yard faces sideways. My friend Helene, the garden maven, explained that this is because they grow toward the morning sun, which is east. My front yard faces south. I have a black thumb, so I am happy that they grow at all, no matter which direction they face.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

When we drive to Sacramento we go by these huge fields of sunflowers. It is so incredibly mind blowing to see these flowers all facing the same way - toward the sun. Later in the day when we drive home - there they are all facing the opposite direction. My husband wonders what they do at night!

Rayna said...

Reminds me of the 'where do the ducks go in the winter?' question from Catcher in the Rye. the only way to know is to sneak out my front door at night and peek.

Anonymous said...

I believe the word you're looking for is phototropic.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...