Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Paducah-day 1

Arrived Sunday late afternoon and was overjoyed to see Helene and Bob waiting for me. Their place, a renovated Maytag commercial building, is simply gorgeous: live/work and a beautiful gallery space. This is only one tiny section of Helene's dye/print/sew/studio.  Oh, envy!

Today, we hit the dollar store so we would have some new goodies to print with when I teach tomorrow. Taking apart plastic thingies took some work, but it was worth it.
I made a couple of gelatin plates and they should be fine for tomorrow; I rescued one just as it was beginning to freeze.

After lunch, we stopped at Hancock's of Paducah and I did some serious damage to my bank account at the remnant table.  What was I thinking??? I print my own fabric!! But who could resist these gorgeous batiks? The photo does not begin to do them justice; they are much more vibrant than this. And I did not get them all into the picture. Oh, dear.
Finally, as we drove around town and came near the river, I said, "oh, the garbage dump is right here!"
Bob and Helene roared with laughter as they said "THAT's the Executive Inn."
On that happy note...


Carol Esch said...

Wonderful! Give my regards to Helene and Bob, old friends from years ago when I was dyeing in the 80's and 90's............. I had hoped to get to Paducah but it doesn't look like this year............have a wonderful time!
Carol Esch
"true colors"

Marianne said...

J'ai un tellement bon souvenir de Hancocks et de Paducah, que votre post m'a fait venir une grande nostalgie. ( mon compte en banque aussi avait pris un coup)

tiedyejudy said...

Love the studio space! Love the batiks! I don't blame you for snatching them up... I'm doing a split rail right now with batiks I couldn't live without! And great printing thingies... I really must visit the Dollar store! Have fun!

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Hope you have a great time... and that I will see you on the 19th in Trenton.

Karoda said...

oooh lala babee! Helene's space is printalicious!

Gerrie said...

You didn't go rummaging through the remains of the Inn? Have a great time.