Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Paducah-day 1

Arrived Sunday late afternoon and was overjoyed to see Helene and Bob waiting for me. Their place, a renovated Maytag commercial building, is simply gorgeous: live/work and a beautiful gallery space. This is only one tiny section of Helene's dye/print/sew/studio.  Oh, envy!

Today, we hit the dollar store so we would have some new goodies to print with when I teach tomorrow. Taking apart plastic thingies took some work, but it was worth it.
I made a couple of gelatin plates and they should be fine for tomorrow; I rescued one just as it was beginning to freeze.

After lunch, we stopped at Hancock's of Paducah and I did some serious damage to my bank account at the remnant table.  What was I thinking??? I print my own fabric!! But who could resist these gorgeous batiks? The photo does not begin to do them justice; they are much more vibrant than this. And I did not get them all into the picture. Oh, dear.
Finally, as we drove around town and came near the river, I said, "oh, the garbage dump is right here!"
Bob and Helene roared with laughter as they said "THAT's the Executive Inn."
On that happy note...

6 comments:

Carol Esch said...

Wonderful! Give my regards to Helene and Bob, old friends from years ago when I was dyeing in the 80's and 90's............. I had hoped to get to Paducah but it doesn't look like this year............have a wonderful time!
Carol Esch
"true colors"

Marianne said...

J'ai un tellement bon souvenir de Hancocks et de Paducah, que votre post m'a fait venir une grande nostalgie. ( mon compte en banque aussi avait pris un coup)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the studio space! Love the batiks! I don't blame you for snatching them up... I'm doing a split rail right now with batiks I couldn't live without! And great printing thingies... I really must visit the Dollar store! Have fun!

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Hope you have a great time... and that I will see you on the 19th in Trenton.

Karoda said...

oooh lala babee! Helene's space is printalicious!

Gerrie said...

You didn't go rummaging through the remains of the Inn? Have a great time.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...