Sunday, February 26, 2012

deconstructing the screen

The two-day workshop in my studio was way too much fun and I can't even begin to show you what fabulous fabric my students made -- because, as usual, I was too busy to take a lot of pictures.  But you'll get the idea.

Here is Susanne, putting the thickened dye on her screen.  For some reason, I didn't get a photo of the resulting fabric but you can imagine! 

 Here is another one of her fabrics just after she had printed it, before we dried, steamed, and rinsed it.  But it was just as beautiful and vivid afterwards.

This was Susan L's favorite print.
And these were amazing, too.  These are her first and second prints, and she made about a dozen more from the same screen.

You can see how much Judy was enjoying the process.


And this incredible piece was her favorite.
Everybody went home with piles of beautiful fabric and I just hope they will send me pictures of what they do with it.  Using it, of course, is the hard part.  I'm putting together a new workshop called "I've Printed it -- Now What??"

13 comments:

HollyM said...

OoH, how I wish I lived close enough to have attended. It looks like such fun and what luscious prints.

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

These look great Rayna. I have been a busy bee getting ready for visitors during FiberPhiladelphia and of course have had my way with lots of deconstruction on silk. I hope you will have time to visit the studio. Vist Notes from 207 at blogger to get a preview. I am besides myself with excitement. The show at the Crane is going to be terrific!

Diane Wright said...

Oh, yes...Now What?? That's what I need.

Your students' work is really terrific.

Diane said...

That last piece was my favorite too. What great results. Ooooooo! I could have some fun with some of that.

Judy Rys said...

Now that's a class that a lot of people will be interested in! Good thinking . . . like usual. xox

Mia Bloom Designs said...

Looks like it was a fun class. The artwork is amazing!
I love the title of your new workshop. I know I've said that a few times.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

oh I wish I could have been there!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Awesome prints! I really must retry deconstructed printing this year... it's been on my project list for awhile now!
Hope you get pix from your students... I never tire of seeing them!

Unknown said...

oh my, just yummy work. I sure need help with, "I've printed it now what?"

Unknown said...

I wish that I could take this class. It looks so fun.

Judy said...

I would have loved to have seen results from that first screen. I've been looking at it for 2 days now. I really hope she will send you photos! I also love the last one - it has so much depth.
What a great class. Gosh, Rayna, I wish we lived a bit closer to one another, but I doubt that that will happen in this lifetime.

xo

Eva said...

It is amazing how the same technique shows ever interesting and new results. And your students seem to express themselves in a very individual way. Such a treat to look at these prints. What about summing them up in a galery of your class productions?

Deb said...

I love the process and results. Wish I lived close enough to take the class. Love your blog and your art.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...