Thursday, April 27, 2017

true confessions

I am actually enjoying the throwing-out process.  Who'd 'a thunk it?

Can't take any more requests for strips and scraps right now - I'm up to my ears.  I haven't thrown out any fabrics, but there is a bag of butt-ugly brown prints from eons ago that I can't even imagine anyone wanting. I would photograph them but they would break the camera.  Maybe I should challenge myself.  On second thought...

Knowing a realtor was coming to look at the house yesterday, I at least got this sewing room in shape.  See?

This is my "office" part, where I am now sitting with my laptop - where else? on my lap.
 Horizontal space!!
These are only a few of the bins filled with fabric.  Others are next-to and under the cutting table.  Not to mention out in the garage. Gulp.  My granddaughter Kayla, who is going off to college and is learning to sew, is currently making tote bags. She wants to come and shop for fabric in my house. Good!
The other table has become a small ironing surface (can you tell?) and a resting place for my vintage DMC floss cabinet (filled with embroidery thread) and my vintage thread cabinet; a gift from my friend Audrey when she moved and didn't have room for it.  Ha - this will move with me. 


 Not sure about the embroidery cabinet, but I like the way it looks.  Decades ago, when J.J. Newberry 5 & 10 closed its store, it was selling fixtures.  My mother called me and told me I should come and look at it. She knew I wouldn't be able to resist. Not a big variety of colors, but you can't have everything.



My temporary bulletin board/design wall is perched over there on another bin of fabrics,
waiting in vain for me to have time to throw some fabric at it. 

I just unearthed the book, Dream Sewing Spaces from under a pile of STUFF. Maybe it's time to take a look at it for the next incarnation.   My dream is to organize a studio with things from The Container Store.  

What's the best thing about your studio space?

12 comments:

Eva said...

Isn't it relieving? Funny -- just at the moment, I'm involved in the same kind of process, waiting for a new impulse to come which should get me into contact with fabric again. And we are planning to renovate my studio/bedroom. Have been mostly writing because this won't give me space to ponder; and painting has been my main way to express my pleasure in color and shape. For 2 years, I haven't touched fabric any more -- as a result of a major change. Some day, I will be back in my heaps of scraps.

Lori R. said...

You're scaring me to death. In the 12 years I've owned my quilt shop, I have filled every cupboard, drawer and closet, not to mention the utility room. This isn't even counting the sewing/craft room I have at home. It is home to a vintage pattern cabinet (I'll send a pic). I give away things but I also have things "dropped off" all the time.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

It feels good to divest yourself of unneeded clutter! I expanded my studio 3 years ago, and the thing I like the best is that it is divided between my sewing/cutting area and the large center work surface for printing/stamping/dyeing, etc. I have storage underneath, and 2 closets plus shelving for all my dye powders & books. However, I forgot to order a maid to clean up after me, so I still have to do that when I start tripping over the clutter! Other than that, it's an ideal space to create in...
Good luck thinning your stash... I know how hard that is!

Becki @ the beach said...

The thing I like the most about my space are the Ikea cabinets, picture stacked cubbies where I can fold and store my fabrics, by color. The rest of my room tends to blow up at times (most) but at least my stash is anchored and handy.
Caltexgal@aol.com
Ps I'm thinking a brown challenge for yourself might be a great idea, once you get some breathing space. Hmmmmmm discharge, dye, ?? :)

patty a. said...

I like that I have a bedroom just for fabric storage right next to my studio room.

Charlotta said...

Good for you! In addition to the relief of clearing space, it's always nice to give people gifts and make others happy. Again you prove that one person's trash is another person's treasure. I'm sure that even what you call butt ugly brown fabric will shine in somebody's eyes. If nothing else, it can make rugs! Or kids can use it! Don't throw it out!

Kaja said...

I don't have a dedicated sewing space - just the dining room table and the kitchen floor - but I have big dreams!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The best thing(s) about my sewing space are (1) that it is all mine, (2) that I store my fabric in clear containers with yardage folded on open shelves so I can SEE what I have, (3) that i have large work surfaces, and (4) that I have lots of light (windows and overhead electrical). My studios (two bedrooms that once were used by our 2 boys) are absolutely my happy place. Wishing you good luck with your new space - I love the Accessory Boxes from The Container Store (as well as their women's shoe and sweater boxes).

Quiltdivajulie said...

p.s. you can see photos of the studio by following this link: http://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/p/inside-my-studio.html (DH and I will be swapping rooms when he retires later this year so the design studio will have a whole new look - larger room, different layout. I'll update the blog page once that happens).

Quiltdivajulie said...

Omigosh - I've changed a LOT of things since I did that page - looks like I need to do an update now and another one later this year. BUT you get the idea of how it is set up.

RWC said...

Clutter seems to pile up faster than I notice it happening. Cleaning it out transforms the way the rooms look and seems to add so much space to the house.

Cate Rose said...

I admit I haven't been following all that closely, so please refresh my memory...are you selling out in NJ and moving to PB permanently? Or just relocating in NJ? Seems like you've done little else but downsize and/or move stuff around for the last five years, between your mom's passing and your north/south travels. Hope it's all good, whatever. And yes, clearing out, downsizing, the whole schmear, feels GREAT!
xoxo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...