Friday, August 11, 2006

with heavy heart

Friday, Aug 11: I mourn the loss of Hilary Fletcher, guiding angel of Quilt National, who died this morning. Those of you who knew her, knew how special she was; brave, funny, warm, loving, and bright. Saturday, Aug 12: Unable to get myself out of the funk from yesterday, I have spent the day wandering aimlessly and then cleaning up my studio = yet again. It is less about cleaning the space than about clearing the head and healing the heart... So, speaking of healing the heart -- I am now the owner (as soon as the show is over and it comes to my house) of one of Sonji Hunt's wonderful bundles juried into Small Works II in Ayer Lofts in Lowell. I went to the opening last weekend and I have to say that the show was uniformly good. There were some wonderful little pieces that should really have been mounted: they were just lost without having something behind them. Sonji's bundle piece lightened my spirits immediately and I knew that I had to have it. Wrote a check on the spot!. I can't wait till it arrives. Art Reviews: There's a new blog that you have to read if you are interested in what's going on in the art quilt world. It is just getting up and running - no pix yet, but hopefully, there will be photos. I think it is about copyright and permission from the artists to post their images. It is about time we had a site that took fiber art seriously and reviewed it as art. This site is a work in progress - but check it out. In the meantime: Yesterday, I was downstairs doing gelatin plate printing for a project, trying to make fabric that was cheerful. Instead, this. (detail below)

Not what I had in mind, but obviously, that is irrelevant. Once again, the work makes itself.

Amazing what a martini and Alexander McCall Smith's "Espresso Tales" will do for one's mood. My husband is in San Diego on business, eating well. I shall do the same tonight: 2" thick veal chops grilled and another martini. I have decided that living alone is ok for about 3 days. After that, it's not my cuppa tea.

3 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Looking at these images I thought you might like the work of Anthony Whishaw: http://www.anthonywhishaw.com/

Judy said...

You are so right about living alone....three days/four nights is bliss, anything more is difficult and anything less is almost a waste of time!!! LOL
Enjoy your solitude and your reunion!!!
xo

gabrielle said...

It does seem as if an era is over with the loss of Hillary. The one thing I do know is that she would wish us to keep cranking out innovative and meanigful pieces.....and keep Quilt National moving forward. As to time alone, I love waking up with sweet Ronnie at work, having the whole day to myself. A little early for a martini but it is five o'clock somewhere. My greatest anxiety at the moment is he is talking about retiring next year when Thomas graduates from law school....woe is me.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...