Sunday, June 26, 2011

more on the "ugly" blocks

In theory, there is no end to what you can do with face-lifted blocks.  At first, after I cut the 3 redone blocks into 4 pieces each, I thought I might make a nine-patch with them.  This is probably the easiest way to go and it can turn a traditional way of working into something a bit funky.  This is an example
of what I might have done - and it is still an option.

Forever Plaid, 18" x 18" 

Instead, I did my usual "throwing at the wall and see what sticks" routine and played with the pieces on this bright, sunny (so far) Sunday morning. Not sure about it, so I will leave it there and contemplate it for a few days.  This is already not quite the original arrangement.  Maybe it is the center of something or maybe it will remain a small piece. Dunno.


I brought the original blocks home from the studio on Friday and did the work at home yesterday. Perhaps I will go back to the studio and retrieve more of the original block fabrics and  expand this piece.
If I had not sliced the redone blocks at all or if I had sliced them into thirds, this would be a different piece.  And it may yet end up a different piece. Or not.  it's not there yet - wherever "there" is. But this is where it is today.

After lunch, the studio to see what develops.

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

I almost want to stitch up some nine patches so that I can play along at this!!

Judy Rys said...

Huge improvement, but I agree that it's not thee yet. I love lime green, but that vertical piece right smack in the center is overpowering (IMHO).

Nina Marie said...

Well for the first time ever, I've been working more in your style this week - than mine. Its very freeing - as this post shows! Its fun to just sew and sew - and throw 'em up on the board to see what happens. I love studying value and shape this way!

Eva said...

What a difference! In the funky version, I hardly see the original pieces of fabric any more; in the second one, they become part of something new, so they lose their original character.

Gpierce said...

As usual, I'm in awe of what you do with something I'd toss. Brilliant! oxoxo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...